Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to use on computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chace90, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I've been trying to find something to plug my bass into so I can record to my computer. I also need something that has midi as well so I can use my keyboard too. What kind of equipment do I need to buy in order to accomplish this? I have a Creative SB Live! sound card.

2. The SBLive! card has a line-in input. You may need a "fat" to 3,5mm converter (don't the exact measures or cable name) if you wish to plug your bass direct and to use your MIDI keyboard you need a joystick port to MIDI converter.
    This should be sufficent to start your recording. You also need some kind of sequencing software such as Logic or Cubase.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I use Creative Audigy Pro Platinum - bit costlier than SB Live, but you get multiple inputs (external box or front-mounted), midi, 24-bit / 96KHz support, soundfonts etc etc etc. Works great for me.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Not really. While you can play 24-bit files with your Audigy card, you can't record them. So he can stick with his Live! card, since there is no real benefit of upgrading to an Audigy from a home-recording point of view.

To get a good signal, you might need a preamp to boost your signal to a good level, especially if your bass is passive. If it's active, the onboard preamp might still not be enough. Of course, you can normalize a quiet signal with software in order to make it louder, but that will also make the noise louder... your choice.

If you have an amp in your room with a line-out jack, run a 1/4" cord from that jack to the sound card's line-in jack. You'll need a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter, which would cost you... I don't know, $5?

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Audigy has an instrument input preamp - that is one of the advantages. It is really suitable for home recording.

6. I use a Hercules Game Theater Sound Card.

External box with RCA in/out, and a 1/4 in input jack with level control for mic or instrument.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Really? That isn't in any of the specs on www.soundblaster.com, or at least I'm unable to find it.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I haven't looked at the manual (I am at work), but Input 2 is labeled Instrument/Mic. I tried using it direct with MIM PowerStrat, Les Paul Artist, Alembic Essence, G&L 2500 (passive mode), Rick Turner Electroline and Alvarez 12-string Accoustic with Piezo. In all cases, sound was great direct.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's a simple (and cheap) microphone preamp.

Use the line in if possible.

You can use a stereo stompbox pedal in bypass mode (chorus etc.) to make your signal stereo (dual mono actually). Or use a splitter.
    Cables/adapters needed:
    2 6,3mm mono jacks into 3,5mm stereo jack.
    Just connect the stompbox outputs to the line in of your soundcard.

You can use a mixer of course, too.