What to use to clean dirty pots on Bass and Amp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Aug 1, 2005.

1. Hola Cat's,
    Question. What should I use to clean dirty pot's on my basses and Metro Eden amp? T.V Tuner cleaner or that stuff you can buy to clean your computer stuff? Silicon?

Bobbo 77'
  2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Can you get in there sufficiently with canned air and just blow the living bejeepers out of it?
  3. I use Philips contact cleaner spray. Nothing's blown up on me yet.
  4. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    The TV Tuner cleaner is perfectly fine as well. It works for any staticy pots.
  5. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    They sell contact cleaner at Radio Shack that also contains a silicone (I think) lubricant.

I've used it and seems to work well.
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Caig De-Oxit D4 is the best stuff that I have used. Rat Shack picked up their products so they are nw easy to find. I used to have to buy it by mail order, or through a local shop that rebuilds and repairs hammond organs.

I also use plain component bath spray. it doesn't lube but it clean the pots well.

if you know that you aren't cleaning a conductive plastic pot, you can get away with a small squirt of WD40! It's not high tech, but it does work.
  7. De-oxit is great, but expensive. CRC 2-26 is pretty good too. DON'T use WD-40!

But first, blow them out with compressed air - then use the contact cleaners.
  8. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I've always used the cleaner/lubricator from Radio Shack with very good results!
  9. Where exactly do you shoot them? On the terminals?
  10. +1 for Radio Shack cleaner/lubricant. Spray it in the little hole.
  11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    +1 for the Radio Shack tuner cleaner. Just be aware the primary ingredient is mineral oil. So don't overdo it, and keep some paper towels handy because that stuff takes a week to air dry on it's own.
  12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    DeoxIT is the ticket. a little on the pricey side, but unless you have a shop or do many repairs, a single can will last you years.
  13. depends on the pot, but you wanna get the stuff inside the pot, where the wiper touches the track. Some pots have holes or slot in tem, and if you look real close you'll see the workings moving inside as you twist the shaft. Just squirt a good amount in and work it around, you'll feel it loosening up as you do but that's largely due to the solvents effect on the pots lubrication and not anything else.