1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to use to fix tolex on my cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rycebag, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    The tolex on one of my mesa cabs is coming of in the back and I was wondering what I could use to fix it as far as glue or anything like that.

2. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Elmers white glue. Don't put too much on. Use blue painter's tape to hold the tear in place until the glue dries.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Depending on how bad the tear is, meaning how much has lifted, I've had great success with the varieties of super glues. Other types will not hold as long. If you get some on your finger tips, it wears off real soon. :cool:

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've used Super Glue before on Ampeg cabs that I've owned in the past, with good results.

5. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I used contact cement on my '67 Portaflex cab. A little tricky as far as allowing the right amount of time between application and joining, but will hold forever if done right.

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

+1

7. Sharpie marker... at least for all those nicks where the tolex is completely gone

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Back when Tolex was called naugahyde, they had repair kits that worked pretty well. It even textured the repair area. But I didn't get that you tore your naugahyde, it's just coming loose, right? In that case, just glue it back like others have said.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020