Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to use to insulate a truss rod?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bound, Jan 12, 2004.

1. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    So last neck that i made was a while back and i used 1/4 inch rubber tubing to keep the truss rod from vibrating and making noise. I dont' have any of the tubing lying around at this point, and i was wondering if there was anything else that you guys might use to stop vibrations or get a tight fit in the channels.

2. You can use a dab or two of silicone in the channel or you could fill the channel.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There's a thread in here that specs out some teflon tubing to enclose the rod, both to prevent rattling and to prevent glue adhesion.

4. To thwart glue adhesion with silicone, just wipe the rod with a little WD-40 before gluing in. The silicone will release easily and then be a perfect fit bearing.

5. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    Thanks Hambone, answered my next question before i could ask it. :) I've been messing around with ideas olong the line ofr filling in the channel with epoxy resin/wood dust mixfigured i could coat the rod with mold release(the stuff you use to stop fiberglass parts from sticking to the mold) so the epoxy doesnt' adhere, thus creating a truss rod channel with no airspace, then jsut filling the rest of the channel with the wood strip as normal. Anyone know of any methods along that line? Thanks all!

6. bassmanatlarge

bassmanatlarge

Jan 30, 2003
    I use 1/4" heatshrink...slide it on over the rod and shrink it.