1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHAT TO USE WITH A 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred Mott, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I am asking for Gary, He is going to use A Hartke LH1000, to get a good R&B sound. What would be a good cab to add with his BRX212 a 15 are some 10s. Again he said THANKS. The BRX is a 8ohm cab he plays a USA Fender P.

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    What's the best Gary for metal?

3. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    Another 212?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    A second BRX212 would rock the house!

5. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Gary use to play Christain Metal when he played guitar. I hear they don't make the BRX 212 no more. But we will look around Thanks.

6. They are going to be real hard to find. Took me a while, and even then I bought a blown cab and reloaded it.

They were only made for 2 years, and were discontinued years ago.

The actual cab is called the BRX12 - the BRX212 is a combo amp.

Unless his band is playing stupid loud, the single 2X12 should be fine by itself. I use mine for rehearsals (at gig volume), and have done a few gigs including an outdoor festival with it powered by a BX500 head.

7. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    Yes it is a BRX12, I am staying at Gary's house now. Have you had good luck with the BX500 Head. I know Gary's first bass amp was a Carvin BR600 15 combo, he had it a couple of months and it kept quitting on him. The warranty ran out he took somewhere they got it working so he sold it. He may have just got a bad one. The guitar player he plays with just plays as loud as he can. A lot of their gigs he is always told to turn down, and it makes him mad. He would like to use it by itself.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Oh is that the cab with a regular 12 and an angled 12 at the bottom? I wanted one of those so bad and by the time I went to order they quit making them. Never understood why.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Where are you guys playing around here? The single 212 will handle most any of the smaller clubs where the rig is the house volume. Most of the larger ones have in house PA he'll be DI'ed to so the bass rig will be for stage volume and again, the single 212 can handle that fine. Playing out of town where PA may be inadequate or non-existant, then he might need a second cab.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Best bet would be to tell the wanker guitar'dist to act like a musician and turn down.:D

11. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I told him to find another band, it would be easy bass players are hard to find around here.

12. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    a 212 is more than enough for most situations.. i have an Eden Nemesis NC212 and it's only 320W, it's just fine for stage volume.. i DI to let the PA do the heavy work.. we have an 18" sub in the PA.. i get all the lows i need through that..

you could couple the BRX12 with a BRX18 using the B500 head, and that would be more than enough..

13. I agree with others who are suggesting that the current rig should be enough for most situations but this may not be most situations right?

To get the most out of the rig it would be best to use matching cabs. Since the Carvin BRX12 is hard to find I would call Low Down Sound and have them build a custom cab that would closely match it. Here is a link. Low Down Sound - Custom Speaker Cabinets for Bass Guitar

14. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    A friend I work with has found a, BRX12 over by Tulsa Okla. It has one blown speaker but the cab is suppose to be in good shape. Its a 6 hour trip but I am going after it and surprise old Gary. He has done a lot for me in the past. For 150 bucks it will cheer him up. I already wired my buddy the money and he went and got it.

15. I wish you would have asked some questions about it first.

The problem you are going to have is that the original speakers that were loaded into it are 16 ohm first generation Eminence Neo's that are NO LONGER made.

There is going to be NO WAY to make that cab match the one your cousin owns. You CANNOT find a replacement, which means you will have to replace BOTH, and will end up with 2 different cabs that only look alike.

16. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    The original speakers are still in it, as far as I know the guy who had it said that all it needed was to be recone. I guess I shouldn't have used the term blown. From what I was told he was putting casters on it and had the bottom speaker out, and drop a wrench tru the cone. It sit in the corner of his music room and he just never got it fix. If not I will help my cousin replace all 4 speakers so they will match. I owe him some money for a guitar anyway.

17. That may be your only option, as I am pretty sure there is not a recone kit available for those speakers.

Probably also going to be hard keeping the cab at 8 ohms, so I hope his amp can handle a 2 ohm load (if he plans on using both together).

Could get costly too depending on which speakers you end up with. I loaded mine with Eminence Kappalite 3012HO's. Four of them could run you in excess of $600

18. The Eminence Delta 12 models very closely with the first generation Eminence Deltalite 2512 below 200hz. I wouldn't hesitate using 2 of them if needed in the second cab. They come in 16 ohms too.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Bass_Pounder,

What's the actual enclosure disposition anyway? Carvin's spiel was rather vague so I never did find out if it was sealed or vented down below.

I bet that really kicks hiney with 4 3012HO.

20. That could very well work...............:bassist:

Mine were both blown anyway, so I went for the big guns (much easier when your only buying 2)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021