1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to Wear at a Colder Outside Gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ...Without looking like a doofus. :atoz::rollno:

I have a gig tomorrow at a Harley Davidson dealership in which I will be playing 4 hours outside. I had the same gig about a month ago and was pretty cold. We weren't told the last time that it was an outside gig. Just as we started packing up snowflakes started falling.

Its warmer now, but I want to be better prepared.

Just looks kinda silly wearing a jacket onstage, but at the same time I am not willing to freeze for the sake of vanity.

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Layers.

T-shirt > Waffle long underwear shirt > Fave music related
    T-shirt. Bring a cool leather jacket or a down vest.

I have a pair of Home Depot work gloves I cut the fingers
    off of. That might help your right hand, but the left you may
    just have to deal. Decent shoes or work boots. Over the calf
    athletic socks.

And since your body will put less blood flow in your extremities
    to warm your head, wear a warm hat.

3. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    If you're playing at a Harley Shop, I'd think a leather jacket would fit right in.

4. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Get some of those dry-chemical hand warmers that you shake up and they heat up. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Put them in an easy to reach place on your body. Between songs use them to warm your hands....

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I'm vegan so I don't own a leather jacket. My bandleader wore his last gig and I must admit it did look cool and it suits our genre... roots rock & rockabilly.

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    You're not gonna eat it! ;)

The cow WAS already dead for other reasons - they don't kill them just to get the hides. ;)

Yeah, yeah, I know - sorry for the insensitivity...:(

8. Sucks to play when you're cold. And not much sympathy from the Harley folks.
    We play Mardi Gras parties in tents, which is close to playing outside. Good pair of boots and double socks for starters. After that, dress in layers. See if you can bring a space heater, or some kind of propane heating device.

9. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    2 handwarmers:
    If you keep a handwarmer(I use hot hands and they are fairly cheap...outdoors store have em) in your left jacket pocket and put your hand in there between songs..
    Keep the other handwarmer in the palm of a fingerless (I like wool but you may want a neoprene fishing glove) glove on your right hand and layer your body you will be fine.

FWIW this setup works real well for hunting and fishing in brutally cold conditions, can't see why it would'nt work for a four hour gig...

MB

10. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Get some long underwear pants too! There's a lot of surface area on the legs and jeans (or any other pants) really don't do the trick. Wear a hat and tall collar or scarf too. Same reason.

11. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    oh and if you are rockabilly look into a stormy kromer cap...warmest cool old school wool caps

12. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
  13. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    +1 to long underwear.

when i lived on the west coast, i found a lot of people did not appreciate thermals. they are not just for midwest winters! they are great for cool spring days. no need for heavy jackets, just good layers. trap your bodyheat!

and if your hands get really cold, remember:

root, fifth, root, fifth....

:D

14. JohNLA

JohNLA

Feb 18, 2009
    a$$less leather chaps:eek:

15. BigNoise

BigNoise

Nov 19, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Just get one of thos Fodera jackets that Vis wears!

16. LMAO

yeah that might be O.K. if in San Francisco, but not at a Harley rally.

17. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    I played an outdoor gig once while wearing a pair of Nomex flight gloves. They're designed for dexterity (and fire resistance!)- you probably can't do 2-hand tapping with them, but for roots & rockabilly you'll be fine. They were a lifesaver for me that night. You'll probably wear them out after a gig or two, but they only cost $20- much better than having frozen fingers.

Your guitarist is still screwed, though.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If it were me, I would ask the Harley shop to borrow a jacket. You can tuck the tag up the sleeve and give it back when you're done. That should be cool for them too. You will be a model for their gear.

19. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    You're from Canada and you want to know what to wear outside?

Maybe some of them mittens with the strings attached might help.

Cheers,
    BT

20. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    if you can handle the new leather smell. i don't mean to side track this thread. i'm just saying, as a vegetarian, i don't think i could deal with it.