1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to Wear at a Colder Outside Gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 10, 2009.

1. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I second the handwarmers in the pockets and fingerless gloves!

I usually wear a skirt and velvet tights...but that won't work for you...

So...just wear something warm in black! If it's black it will look cool no matter what. Just go for lean, not puffy. You don't want to look like the Emo Marshmallow Man.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Bwahahaha!

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Are you serious? Mid-April in Vancouver freakin' Canada and they're expecting an outdoor show?!? Whatever, I guess. Props to you for taking the gig.

The three things you want to make sure stay warm above all else are your hands (duh), your feet (the rest of your body will not be warm if your feet are cold), and your head. If you can wear a pullover sweatshirt or something that has front pockets on it that would be best and then you just keep your handwarmers in there. Good shoes/boots with a couple layers of socks (they also make handwarmer-type packs you can put in your shoes), and a stocking cap. +1 on the thermal underwear, it really works.

Also make sure to give your bass and amp plenty of love... anything below about 45 degrees F outside temperature is asking a lot out of your gear. Try not to let either get subjected to rapid temp changes (especially from warm to cold) if you can help it.

Oh yeah and bring a tuner. You will need it.

Good luck!

4. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Just get one of these!!!

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ima vegetarian, but i still have a nice leather jacket from before I converted. I guess I dont see much wrong in wearing it. But maybe a new leather jacket would smell considerably more.

6. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    In addition to the previously listed good suggestions, by all means wear some kind of hat. You lose the most body heat from the extremities, and of he extremeties, the head has the most blood vessels, so, it radiates the most heat. Cover it up! They used to tell us in the boy scouts (its true!) that if your feet are cold, wear a hat. I thought it was really dumb until I tried it and, damn, it worked. In the winter I don't think twice about it. Comfort first.

Secondly, use wicking thermal layers, not cotton next to your skin. As they say in mountain climing, cotton kills. Wool and polyprop will wick any moisture away from your body, and maintain the thermal integrity of the rest of your clothing layers. Being cold is one thing, being wet and cold is worse. Drink hot fluids. Might be fun!

7. Wear a touque, eh?

8. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    let's not rush to judgment here. i wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that.

besides, doesn't anything go in b.c.?

9. Get polypropylene long johns/long sleeve shirt for the base layer. Something like underarmor.

No cotton underwear either. Go commando if you have to. If you're warm from the car ride and load out, you'll sweat. the cotton will stay wet and you'll freeze your butt off.

Poly wicks the mosture away from your skin, and the outer layers absorb it.

Dress in multiple layers, get some gloves with the fingers cut off. Wear a warm hat, lost lots of heat that way.

If your core stays warm, your extremities will stay warm. Body will shut down circulation to hands/feet to keep the core temp up. That guarantees cold hands.

If you can move a lot on stage, do that, movement will keep you warm. Otherwise dress warmer than you think, because you're used to not being outside standing still that long. What you think is warm enough for this temp under normal conditions only keeps you warm between the car and the house, or a short period of time. To stay warmer longer, you need more layers.

Randy

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah our last gig there was the same deal 4 hours outside and that was the beginning of March... much colder. After the first 30 minutes both my hands started to freeze up. I had to resort to a pick.... and that was tricky because I might use a pick for one or two songs the whole gig so my pick technique ain't the greatest. I had 4 cups of coffee (and I am no coffee drinker... just needed something hot) and stood inside during set breaks. It was quite cold, but I'd do it again. Especially since we made $600 which is near the top of our highest payday.

Its supposed to rain and get to 9 Celcius tomorrow (saturday). I hope they have a covered area!

11. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    Just jump around more.

12. One more thing,this ain't about you,it's about your bass.Get to the gig early,or,LOCK YOUR BASS UP IN YOUR TRUNK 45 min. or so before leaving to the gig.By doing that,your instrument will be acclimated to the weather,meaning,less tuning issues.I play outdoors in ALL kinds of weather,and,I DO MEAN ALL KINDS(We are very much in demand in the tri-state area).From riverboats to ski resorts to outdoor political functions.After your bass is acclimated to the weather,go play it about 10 min. or so before going on.Because your neck & strings WILL WARM UP with the friction from your hands enuff to throw her out of tune a little.Retune right before going on.

One more tip:Let the bass "cool" to the outsides temps SLOWLY.
    EXAMPLE:Let it sit in the case for awhile,then,break it out of the case.You don't want to "shock" your bass with rapid temp. changes.(Unless you are going the all-graphite route,still,your strings will be affected).

13. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    l_eeb5a63f096d480ca88df430417aa314.

New Year's Eve in Poland - outdoor gig. Minus 15 Celcius. They said "the stage will be heated by a professional company" When the band heard that, a moment of silence ensued, followed by "I'll take an extra sweater" "I'll take two" comments. Fortunately the stage was heated... from -15C to -5C more or less. :)

My outfit on the pictures for a 1,5 hour show - IIRC:
    a T-shirt
    a shirt (it was ready for the party after the gig)
    a sweater
    a turtleneck
    the shirt for the gig (Elvis Presley Show)
    a suit

I was supposed to wear five fingered gloves (for warmth and the crunchy, semi-muted sound that worked well for the particular gig) but my sheet music kept flying away, so I had to hold it in place with clothes drying clasps - but then I couldn't turn the pages with the gloves on so I took them off... funny story. My fingers froze to the strings for a short moment. :)

BTW - I DO look like a doofus here. :D

14. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Could be a harley rally IN San Francisco.

But seriously, what's dorky about wearing a jacket? I can only imagine that you would play better if you could focus on playing instead of standing there freezing.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I guess that pretty much rules out the spandex, then... :eyebrow:

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Meehaw -

Props from me to you for looking uber-cool under insane playing conditions.

Way to man-up on a tough gig.

17. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, the gig is done and over. It was a little cold but not too bad. Constant rain though. Good thing there was cover.

The hardest thing was no matter how warm *I* might be, the nickel flats on my bass were cold and kept my fingers from being warm. I managed though.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Oh yeah, and they are booking us for their next two events in June and August.

I guess we didnt stink up the place too bad. :cool:

20. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    hat!!!!

also a hoodie with a t-shirt over it and insulated jeans is about as inconspicuously warm as you can get