What to wear, what to wear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jr47foam, Apr 4, 2004.

1. jr47foam

Dec 15, 2003
    Hatboro, PA
    Hi everyone, This is my first post to this forum and I'm embarrassed to say I feel a little silly about my question. I was a rock bass player back in the late sixties and have rediscovered the bass in the last year. I just got together with a blues/rock group and hope to be playing in a couple of months. But I haven't been a part of that whole bar/ blues club scene in many years. In addition, I'm no spring chicken having just turned 57 recently. So my question is what do I wear? What's hip? T shirt? Vest? Pin stripe suit- what? Or maybe what shouldn't I wear? I'll be interested to hear your reply. Thanks.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Can never go wrong with black pants, black button up shirt (long sleeve, you can always roll them up), and black shoes. If others are dressed "up", you'll look hip and fit in. If they're dressed in jeans, you'll still fit in . . .
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Hip? How about extra-tight jeans w/ an "ironic" or vintage print--like the Girl Scout Association or Big Ted's Bait and Ammo Shop, Newberry SC.

I always thought a nice plain/plaid/striped button-down shirt and pants combo was the swiss army knife of gig attire. It's laid-back but professional looking. Darker colored shirts don't show sweat as much though they tend to be hotter. I guess it depends on how much jumping and stage-diving you're planing on doing.

As for "don'ts" I get turned off by people at gigs that wear fake Hawaiian shirts.

PS:Welcome back
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Avoid pleated pants like the plague.
  5. Well I got sour news for you, jack. It ain't that easy.
    For instance, are you willing to make the commitment to wakin' up at the crack a' noon, for deep-knee rock squats!?
    Seven or eight at a time!? In a row?
    How 'bout are you willing to make the commitment
    to rock-hard tasty abs washer-board style? Glistening in the sun.
    How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment,
    wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?
    Can't decide: Can't decide for a aneurysm!

-Tenacious D

6. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I hear mu mus are all the rage. But seriously, is "hip" still a factor at 57? Just go with black pants, black button shirt and black shoes and don't get too fancy
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    bahhhh who needs clothes.

Play naked!!!!

:p :hyper: :bag:
  8. jr47foam

Dec 15, 2003
    Hatboro, PA
    Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it. Of course I still have to figure out how to play the bass so I don't make the rest of us look bad.
    I like the black theme. Thanks again.
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Now that everyone has told you that black is the safest choice...don't take it too far.Back in the '80's I saw a videotape that a friend had shot of one of our shows. I was wearing all black clothes and shoes. Playing an all black finished bass, with an ebony fretboard and black hardware, in front of a black wall.

In the videotape I was a disembodied floating head.

It sucked. Add a little color. Mostly black is still good, but add a little color.
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    If you were playing jazz, I'd say do the blackout thing. But for blues, go a bit retro-cool.

Check out Daddy O's

or any bowling shirt, retrowear, rockabilly shop.

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

Don't forget the shoes.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I think the same camera-man took the photo in your avatar..... the floating arms are a nice addition :)
  13. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    The shirts Zulufunk posted are good. I was in the same boat 2 or 3 years ago. I played in the 60's and early 70's, stopped playing for almost 30 years, and my old band got back together. Today anything goes. I wear jeans and a shirt like one of Zulu's. Some of the other guys just wear "T" shirts. Just get a good sound, lock in with your drummer, it wont matter what your wearing. Good luck.