Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to wish for 18th birthday present?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phunky, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    I was thinking of some bass stuff (like a really expensive amp or instrument).
    Does this make me a nerd?
    Should i wish me something more special?
    Has anyone of you wished a bass or an amp for your 18th birthday?

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Pack of smokes :D .

We're all bass players here. We're all obsessed. We all covet our neighbors bass. I would ask for nothing else. Get some new equipment. What could be more "special" than that?

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I actually wished for (and got) a Carvin LB-20 for my high school graduation (in 1983). Played it for years until I traded it for a "real" bass -- my 1969 Fender Precision.

Still have the Precision. It's in great shape and the 3-tone Sunburst paint is about 80% intact. It still even has OEM covers and the whole bit. Every now and then I think about selling it.

Then I change my mind.

dcr

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've wanted bass stuff for every Christmas and Birthday since I started playing, but I usually only get a cheap acoustic guitar or clothes. My 19th birthday is on the 21st, and all I'm asking for this year is money to help me get my new cabinet.

~Patrick

5. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Ok cool thanks for all your replys, but would you want to recieve bass-stuff infront of paid drivers license? :)

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I'm assuming from your response that a driver's lisence there is quite a bit more expensive than here.

Mine is $27.50 for 4 years.

Now insurance, that's another matter...

dcr

7. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Haha ok, here it depends on how you really drive i mean but i'm counting on atleast 8000 SEK (like $1000)

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

For what period? One year? Two? Five?

If you count insurance for a teenager on a "junker" car, that's about right. And I know several adoults who pay $100 or more per month just for insurance. Surprising what a DUI (driving under the influence) will get you!

dcr

9. I know a guy that's my age that rear-ended someone and his insurance was up over $300 a month. Now, that could buy some good gear. ;)

10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

What's he drivin'? A Lexus?

dcr

11. Seems like you could buy some bass gear yourself for less than $1000... and carry it around in your car.

12. Naw, a Grand Prix. Insurance companies rake you over the coals when you hit somebody in the back. Especially since he was a teen at the time.

13. Whoever said they got a bass for graduation just gave me ideas.

Thank you! I was drawing blanks. Modj here we come.

14. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    For life

15. asking for bass stuff is not nerdy

asking for your virginity to be taken, now thats nerdy.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    $300 a month for insurance? That's not bad if you live in New Jersey. That's probably what I'm going to have to pay when I get a car in a month or so. By the way, go for a vehicle, not bass gear.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Muha... i'll pay 180$ every 6 months for bmw:D i RULE:D

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    In order to get a drivers licence, Scandinavian countries require a driving course that lasts for around a month and costs you something like $1000. During this you are taught all the road theory and trained in controlling the car and driving in traffic with a driving teacher. After you pass both theory and driving examns, you get the "practice" licene.

After a year driving with that you take a smaller refresher course and can get the real licence which doesn't have to be renewed until you are in your 60's.

Insurance costs aren't that small either :(

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses