Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to work for?? (its a money ?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScJaxx, Jun 10, 2002.

1. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    yea im sure you all are sick of these money question. but i am just looking for some info.

over the summer i am working before i head off to college.

i am gonna be getting a nice amount of dough. now the query.

im gonna set aside 1500 for a nice rig.
    now im not set upon anything NEW. i dont mind used really. but as people know, shipping cabinets is a costly ordeal.

so for 1500. what head, 4x10, and 1x15(or 18) should i get.

also, if you think of a way to save the money, i guess something like a power conditioner or something of the sort would come in handy.
    and so people DONT ask. the band plays mostly rock/funk.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You definitely have your priorities straight - investment in a fine amp with a lesser bass will get you further than a so-so amp and a fine bass. (That may set off some controversy here. But the input of major people in the business and my decades of experience support the contention that a dookie bass through a fine amp sounds more pleasing than a fine bass through a dookie amp).

My suggestion is to get a NEW Carvin R1000 for the head. Heads are complex and have more aspects that can go wrong. A new one is more dependable and returnable.

That leaves you approx. $900. See if you can get some nice Genz-Benz cabs. If you haven't tried a 2x10 with a 15" you may be surprised to find you don't need a 4x10 if you use a $180 Tech 21 Bass Driver. I've used an Eden 2x10 with an Eden 15" under a Carvin R head and a SansAmp Bass Driver and I spend most of my sound check trying to tame it down......whoopass sound, articulate tone, more volume than I can use sometimes.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    $1500 is a good chunk of change, but I don't think its enough to get 2 good cabs, and a good head. Good cabs are about $800, and good heads......

I think that you'd be better of with a used head than a used cab though. Speakers wear out. Electronic parts do to, but are easily fixed.

Make sure to try, Aguilar, Eden, and SWR cabs. Don't forget the Aguilar GS212, SWR 8x8.

If I were you I'd get a seperate Pre and power amp. This way you can get a cheap power amp, but a good pre and still have good tone. There have been numerous threads on pres try Ampeg, Demeter, SWR, Alembic, Kern, Peavey. Used ones are usually pretty affordable.

4. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    like i said chris. i have no problem using USED STUFF.

and rickbass, i hope you didnt look in my info and see that CORT:D
    cause i recently got a Peavey Cirrus 6...so i have a DECENT bass, not really a LESSER bass.

what about the R1000, with Aggie 2x10 on a Eden 1x15??
    how much would that go for generally
    (sorry, im not good at the pricing game)

5. I just spent about 1250 on the following (all new)

Hughes & Kettner Bass Base 400

I'm lovin it.

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    There is a scratch and dent Eden on Musicians Friend right now. You might want to check it out!

7. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    im starting to think im just gonna work with avatar stuff, and a nice power amp, pre amp and any other goodies.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Avatar cabinets sound very good and are a fantastic value. You can find them on eBay direct from Dave at Avatar himself for less than he sells them for on his site.

Getting a good used power amp (one with plenty of power) is also an excellent choice. This would allow you to simply go with whatever preamp suits your needs/wants at the time.

You should be able to get quite a killer rig and stay way under your $1500 limit.

Happy shopping!!!

9. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    ok heres an IDEA so far

Carvin DCM 2000 (if this is too much for the rig, ill go with DCM1500)
    and a preamp around the price of 400.

10. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    sansamp RBI as a preamp?

11. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    never heard of it (tell you how much i know:p )
    is it around 400?
    oh well ill look into it anyways.

and ive pretty much decided on the DCM1500 as the poweramp.