1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to you think about guild bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bamba22, Mar 8, 2010.

1. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    Hey guys,

I just was intersted on the things you have to say about the guild basses...

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Depends on what model you're asking about.

3. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Overall they're solid basses. I don't know of any Guilds with a *bad* reputation.
    The pilot basses are well reviewed, as are the b-300 series. The starfire is legendary of course. :bassist:
    You can't really go wrong with a Guild bass IMO.

4. Like Gibsons they never really took off.

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I had a Guild Red Starfire Bass when they were real popular and many players used them ( late 1960's) . It was a real "pretty" bass guitar (semi-hollow) looking back it didn't have a true bass sound in the Fender tradition. I later traded it for a Fender Precision Bass ( good deal) and then an Ampeg bass....... that sounded great but had a warped neck. I know they still sell those Jack Cassidy basses but for me I'm a Fender Player through and through......there is the bass guitar sound like guilds and there is the Fender sound its that simple.....:cool:

6. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Depends upon your style of playing IMHO.

The older Guilds (Jetstar II, Starfire) have wooden saddles which always drove me crazy. If I ever tried to dig in to the top two strings, the strings would pop out of the saddles...

If you're not an agressive player, and you're going for a nice woody, thumpy flatwound 60's sound, you should be fine.

I'd play one before purchasiing sight unseen.

The B302s had a newer Gibson-style bridge, and were supposed to have a few workable tones.

I don't know much about the later Guilds... Pilots, etc...

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I once owned a B-301 mahogany. It had an impressive neck dive, and an unimpressive pickup.

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I, however, have a B-301 mahogany fretless. It has impressive neck dive, but I love the sound and will never part with it.

So, like most basses, to each his own.

9. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I have three Guild basses on my wish-list:

Starfire single pup - just to match my Starfire III
    M 85 w/ darkstars - one of my all-time craves
    B30 (or later Fender-era B50) - an ABG you can actually hear, due to the semi-huge body

That's really it. I never thought about the pilot basses or any of their other solid-bodies (other than the M 85) and the Ashbory is a toy, although I'd accept one if it was given to me.

10. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah I had a B-301 for 20 years. It was my only bass for that time (mostly because I was broke and couldnt afford a new one) The neck dive was crazy and it was heavy. From playing that for so long I picked up other basses people said were heavy and they felt light as a feather to me (like my Ric). It did sound good though, but with only one pickup it didnt give me the range I eventually wanted, so after all that time I sold it here on TB last year.

11. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    I had a candy apple red X-702 back in the early eighties. It was a beautiful playing and sounding bass, and I wish I still had it. Sounded fantastic!

12. Loved the sound of my B301, but the upper horn was too short so the balance was bad as others have stated. The tone was great, and the construction was first rate, but the ergonomics lead me to trade it away.

13. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    My #1 Bass is my 1980 Guild B-302. Still the fav in my arsenal.....yes there's some neck dive,but a wide strap takes care of that. The 2 pups are monsters and just keep getting better with age. Had her for 30 yrs and never once thought of selling her.

14. I had a Guild B301 mahogony as well. I also liked it, except for the neck dive.
    I traded it in when I purchased my Elias AP-1

15. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have this Starfire II and absolutely love. It is exceedingly well made and sounds great the way it is. I bought it to install some Dark Star pickups into it, but have not done that yet and probably won't now. The master volume is a nice touch.

HollowbodyBasses004.jpg

16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I'm a bit prejudiced, but I think Guild instruments in general have always been criminally under-rated. I managed a guitar store from 1977-1988 and Guilds were consistently well-made, great sounding instruments with consistently poor marketing. And that poor marketing has always hindered the instruments' reputation. They've been owned by the Dronge family (family of the founder), Avnet, a consortium which included George Gruhn, a big musical distributor (US Music I think), and then Fender Musical Instruments Corporation bought them at the end of 1995. FMIC has done at least as good a job as anyone with them and they still have dropped the ball considerably.

I don't anticipate seeing any basses from them now as it looks like FMIC is pursuing the acoustics as their Guild vision. The move to the Hamer/Ovation factory can only be an improvement as that factory has consistently turned out very very well made instruments with fit and finish that is as good and often better than the "big" companies.

I love the original Starfire basses with the Hagstrom pickup, it's about the only short-scale bass I've ever had any attraction to. It's a unique and useful sound without the undefined mud of the Gibson EB-2. The Pilot Bass was a breath of fresh air when it came out. A US made high-quality bass with a life-time warranty, EMG's, a narrow Jazz-style neck with a flatter radius, light-weight body, and a great hard shell case for about the same money as a Jazz bass.

John

17. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    My first electric was a B-301A (Ash body), sold to me (OK, my dad) as "as good as a Fender, only less expensive"). I was 14 and it was as long as I was tall. Thinking back, I really miss the look of it. reading this thread, I'm remembering (and not missing) the neck dive.

Today, I own a B-30 acoustic, which I get a lot of mileage out of in many different settings.

I'd love a Starfire.

I'll always have a soft spot for any Westerly Guild, as that was by backyard growing up.

18. Yup I have to agree. I thought it was a well made bass. Sound was good too.
    the bass I traded in to get that Guild, was an El Degas Grabber copy in ash. What happened to them? Hahahaha good memories.

19. Ablebasser

Ablebasser

May 16, 2008
    Belfast
    I got a B301 a few weeks ago and I haven't touched any of my other basses since. I haven't been bothered by the neck dive and have found it a very easy bass to play. I will concede that it isn't the most versatile bass, but it does what I want brilliantly ie rocking with a pick and cuts through nicely with the band. On top of that it is such a unique looking intsrument that it's bound to turn a few heads.

20. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned a B-301 for some time and it was a very cool, albeit heavy, bass. I'll never part with my Starfire, the second bass I ever owned, purchased "new" in '66 :)

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020