Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What tool is best for this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mark Wilson, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey guys. I've done a fretted to fretless conversion before. Just on a guitar. Turned out very well for my first project!

For the neck, I finished the fingerboard with Varnish (JUst bought at Home Depot) I brought the neck in with me, and they suggested this would be best as Varnish also hardens.

Well, to apply it, I used a regular brush. Went on VERY smooth and even.

Now, the problem...

Stupid me, forgot to wash the Varnish off the brush. So now it's hard as a rock.

What do you guys suggest using to apply Varnish onto a fingerboard? My brother de-fretted his guitar and just applied with a rag, and it looks fantastic.

Thanks!

-Mark

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I buy the 24 pack of foam brushes for $4.99 and thro the brushes away after using them.

3. Put this one under lessons learned and buy a new brush...see how easy that was?

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Hey Motorhead where is "The Hammer":D

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I like that idea. Thanks

I'd like to know where "the Hammer" is!

-Mark

6. I cannot see how varnish will be durable enough for this. Why didn't you use say epoxy?

In Australia, there is a product named "Brush Restorer" that restores brushes that haven't been cleaned. I've used this stuff on a few brushes over the years (two brushes that I haven't cleaned were left rock hard for over a year) and it works great, the brush is almost like knew if done properly. Ask the hardware for a similar type of product.

7. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I also use the foam brushes, though I found a deal a while back and bought 3 packs of 24 on sale for $2.99 CDN each. I'm still working through those brushes.

The only thing to watch out for is that they don't last long when spreading epoxy. You get a few minutes of great application, then they start dropping little bits of foam as they begin to dissolve and pull apart (as your epoxy becomes tacky). It's even worse when you're spreading contact cement.

-Nate

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I would not say that varnish is a very good choice here. I work for home depot, and, judging by some of the people I work with, product knowledge is a bit poor.