Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What tools would I need to install a bolt-on neck with no holes drilled?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jacob M, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I ordered a Warmoth body and neck, and I have no wood-working experience. The neck doesn't have any holes drilled into it's heel, but the body does have holes where the screws should go.

First of all, should I even try to drill these holes myself, or should I pay a local tech to do it? I have no wood-working expereince and would likely need to buy all the tools I'd use, so would it even be monetarily worth it?

If it's ridiculously easy to drill these holes, what tools EXACTLY would I need to do so, and how long do you estimate it would take? Also, what kind of tools would I need to drill the holes to mount the pickups into? Like what size drill bits etc.

Thanks alot for any help,
    Jacob

2. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    when I was a rookie at bass repair I got a mighty mite neck and had the same dilema,i was going to put it in the neck pocket and go from there,but i was avised to go to my buddy who's a pro and watch him do it at least once,and i'm glad I did.
    What he did(and now i do)is take the old neck and new one and clamp them together(he used an old one as a templete)and used a drill press to drill into the old necks exising holes which came through the other side of the neck(templete)and into the new neck which was held tightly against the old neck(templete)and making screw holes right where the old neck was set,be careful as not to go to far in.
    Now that you have the holes correctely lined up,now drill in the correct depth,make sure you drill straight in,a drill press would be great,but a hand hed with a level would suffice.
    If you dont want to use the old neck because it was poorly set to begin with,put the new neck in the pocket,making sure it fits correctely(mine needed to be sanded a bit to insure it fit) and make a mark where the screws go by turning in the original screws enuff to make an indentation,then remove neck and drill them out little by little untill desired depth is reached,just be sure you drill the holes straight.
    GOOD LUCK