Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What toolsdo you use when doing carving like a Scroll headstock?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jan 10, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Or like the upper horn in some basses?.......t

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Never done it, but I'd use some simple hand-held wood carving tools: gouges, v-cuts, chisels...but then again, I'm a cheap boyscout, and I like taking things slow. Nothin like some old fashioned whittling...

-Josh

3. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    ...of how a violin maker does it.

www.violins.demon.co.uk

I'm gonna try it too. Seems simple but I bet it's not especially a cello or bass sized scroll. :eyebrow:

Good luck!

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I want to try to do a cool upper horn and was wondering what tools to get from stewmac....t

6. You may want to check out grizzly.com for wood carving tools also. They seem to have decent prices on everything.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Hey Ryan you will have to check out the Carl Thompson style bass when I get it up and running it will be interesting....t

8. Absolutely!

9. I have made three scroll basses now and used a rounded wrasp, and a beveled wood file, and a precision sander

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Don't you mean "wownded wasp" You Wascally Wabbitt. :D Sorry saw your mis-spelling and could't help it. Especially with a name like "toonman":p

Do you have a photo or link to a rounded rasp and a beveled wood file? Thanks ...tom

11. Wood Ascention

Wood Ascention

Nov 7, 2004
    If you really want to give this a shot, I suggest picking up a couple good gouges and maybe a small v-groove chisel. As well as familarise(sp) yourself with sharpening them. Then grab a chunk of scrap and have at it. I tried one a few years ago with a couple basic gouges, and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. Good Luck.