what top is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Dec 13, 2004.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what wood is the top? is it walnut?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks like walnut..
  3. I know this is off topic (and probably a stupid question) but what is that pickup sunk in the middle of the bass for? Is it just another dual coil? or does it have some other purpose?
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I believe that is a dummy coil for reducing hum in split-pickup situations. It's been a while since I looked at an Alembic, but I'm pretty sure that used to be an advertised feature (and maybe still is?).
  5. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Looks like walnut to me too.

It's a humcanceller. The two pickups on Series I and II basses cannot be split because they are single coil, and the humcanceller works like a dummy hum canceller, something like the third (phantom) coil in a Stingray 5.

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    ... I think you need to send that bass to me for a thorough wood-analysis. Should only take a few months... LOL!!!1
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    in fact youre wrong, you can make a singlecoil humcanceling pickup by wounding 2 coils (pole) clockwise and the other 2 counter-clockwise, but i dont know how to do it on 5-7-9-11 pole pickups

BTW: isnt it a Stanley Clark??
  8. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    No. 2 or more coils = not a true single coil. 1 coil = single coil, by definition.

and no, it's a series II, if you look at the electronics. Stanley Clarkes do not have the humcanceller.