What Transcriptions Have you Learned the Most From??

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by peteswanson91, Dec 14, 2004.

1. peteswanson91

peteswanson91 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    As we all know, transcription is possibly the best way to learn music. Everyone has the "ones" they've done that have opened their eyes and ears...seeing what everyone deems important solos to check out. Some of my favorites:
    Chet Baker "Autumn Leaves" from She was too Good to me
    Dexter Gordan "Fried Bananas"
    Fred Hersch "For All We Know" Trio album
    Keith Jarrett: "All of You" Standards in Norway
    Trane "26-2"
    Gary Peacock "Old Folks" The Cure
    Just a few to start.....
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Kenny Barron: "There is No Greater Love", "Skylark", "Softly", all from Green Chimneys.

Ahmad Jamal: "But Not For Me", At The Pershing.

Kenny Werner: "Herbie Nichols", Introducing the Trio.

Kenny Kirkland: "Dienda", Royal Garden Blues.
  3. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    Some of below I did but didn't write out. Shame, because now I can't remember fully. I think I will end up try to clean up what I have and putting in finale-holes & all

(full score)
    Bill Evans:
    Spring is Here(up to the solo)
    Darn that Dream (intro)

McCoy Tyner
    Passion Dance (3 chourses?)

George Shearing (solo piano from My Ship)
    When I Fall In Love

Herbie Hancock
    (single line)
    Who Cares (from Bob Brookmeyer and Friends)
    Seven Steps to Heaven (lost!)

Harold Land
    Joy Spring

Clifford Brown

Red Garland
    C jam blues
    I could write a book (with miles)
    (recent-not written out)

Bud Powell
    Parisian Thoroughfare (written out???)

Cedar Walton

Stan Getz
    Mosquito Knees (from Storyville '51)

Jimmy Raney
    The Flag is Up

Numerous pieces, snippets, intros-. For example Herbie Hancock's intros on '64 concert my funny val, stella, Parade intro from Hancock 81 (it's a mess from a long time ago-cat vomit,etc)
  4. Jon, nice to see Harold Land's name here from someone besides me. That's a great solo!
  5. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    A few things:

Paul Chambers:
    So What- Live in New York (with John,Bill,Jimmy)
    Freddie the Freeloader-
    Stolen Moments- Oliver Nelson

Charles Tolliver:
    Stolen Moments solo (parts); Structurally Sound- Booker Ervin

Charlie Rouse:
    Stella solo (parts) Unsung Hero-

Peck Morrison:
    Stella- Unsung Hero-

Miles Davis:
    So What solo - Live In New York

Doug Watkins:
    Blue Gene solo- Blue Gene- Gene Ammons
  6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    A great learning experience is (not done yet) transcribing the head/changes to Booker Little's "Minor Mode Blues", as played with the Max Roach Quintet. It's a very hard tune with a tricky head in a fast Ebm blues with all the subs.....great practice!
  7. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    Yeah. He's underrated. I picked him on that because I had already put down the clifford solo on jordu and I really dug harold's work on that one-which is just an outstanding solo. Re: the CB work on Jordu -I often use it describe how the opening phrase is an example how clifford built 8 measure phrases really easily. I'm humming it now.
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I haven't had much time to transcribe myself or look at others, but I got a lot from Steely Dan "Aja" and Yellowjackets "Mint Jam" and "Politics" CD's. I also almost finished Ray Brown's solo in "Days of Wine adn Roses" a while back. What a player.
  9. A little off topic....didja ever hear that black market tape of Clifford practicing Cherokee in his apt. with the kids yelling? Holy ****
  10. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    It's my recollection that I did. I had a trumpeter roomate in the 90s who was working at Don Sickler's studio and I believe that's how he got it
  11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    I haven't, but I have copies of private tapes of the Roach-Brown quintet at Newport in 55, and their last gig, the night he died. Awesoooome stuff. There's a very long version of "I get a kick out of you", taken at a tempo of about 500.....
  12. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Some of my fellow players have an impressive list of transcriptions. Mine includes McCoy Tyner "Passion dance", Herbie Hancock "One finger snap", Chick Corea "Tones for Joan's Bones", Pat Martino "Impressions", George Benson "Billies Bounce", all of Wayne Shorter's "Introducing Wayne Shorter", most Trane from the 50's with Miles, Trane and Cannonball "Limehouse Blues" , Clifford Brown "Blues walk", and "Parisian Thoroughfare", various Dexter Gordon, an occasional Kenny Garrett solo. Mainly I try to transcribe regularly, as I still suck! :eyebrow:
  13. pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań

Dexter Gordon- Watermelon Man (Herbie Hancock "Takin' Off")
    Herb Ellis- How High The Moon (O. Peterson "Stratford...")
    Ray Brown- solo (1st. chorus only :( from the same piece...)
    Pierre Michelot- Willow Weep For Me (Dexter Gordon "Our Man in Paris")
    Enrico Pieranunzi- theme- Echi (Charlie Haden "Silence")
    E. Pieranunzi- theme- September Waltz (with M. Johnson, P. Motian "Untold Story")
    Tommy Flanagan- 1st. chorus of Bluebird ("Beyond the Bluebird")
    Gary Peacock- Blame It On My Youth ("The Cure"- I'm still trying to find a few bars...)
    Keith Jarrett- theme- Bop-Be
    Ray Brown- Sometimes I'm Happy (from London House Sessions w/ O. Peterson, vol. I)
    Gerry Mulligan- Walkin' Shoes (one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL SOLOS I'VE EVER HEARD!!!!) from "Pleyel Concert" vol. I
    Paul Chambers "Whims Of Chambers"

still working, ufff.
    BTW Gerry Mulligan is a genius. His playing is so sensitive, romantic and swinging at the same time...
  14. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    dextor gordon - confirmation, love for sale (some good bluesy licks in there)
    paul chambers - whims of chambers (great for his bebop tecnique)
    ray brown - days of wine and roses (great composition, very pretty soloing)
    chick corea - spain (lots of altered 7ths subs and smooth interval movement)
  15. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Ray Brown on "Cool Walks." Great for shedding rhythm changes...

Paul Chambers on "Straight No Chaser." Great for shedding the blues...

Oscar Pettiford on "Stardust." Great for shedding a ballad...