Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What tube should I buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Feb 23, 2002.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I need to replace my 12ax7 tube in my SWR sm-500 head . What would give me the best sound?I have only one tube to replace ,it is in the gain stage, your replies are appreciated.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would highly recommend a Sovtek 12AX7WB. The WB(not WA!) gives you a very flat frequency response, and tends to warm up the sound. It is great for hybrid amps. You could go NOS, but I don't see the point in spending money on tubes that will eventually be gone. Besides, I think that the Sovtek is one of the better sounding pre-amp tubes out there...for bass anyways.:)

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    "Groove tubes" is not a vaccum tube company, they merely re-label tubes with there name. They could be chinese, or russia made. I used to have a Baby Blue II combo, and the difference is quite noticable...the Sovtek 12AX7WB sounded much better than the Groove tube that came with it.

4. Yeah, Groove Tubes are just repackaged tubes made by other companies. What they do is rate them, so you get the same sound out of a particular tube. It's just more consistent, and a little more convinient. My Ampeg SVT3PRO says it's "Groove Tubed", but when I looked on the inside, only the first tube was a GT, the other 4 were all Sovteks.