Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Tube To Buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm going to replace the preamp tube in my Trace Elliot RAH-350SMX. Unfortunately, it has no markings whatsoever. What type of tube is it and what brand do you think would be best? Thanks in advance.

2. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    The preamp tube is most like likely of the 12AX7 kind (7025/ECC83) which is pretty common. You might want to look around for a manual for your amp.

As far as tubes, in the "current production" category, Chinese "9th tooling" 12AX7s are pretty good, at least for guitar amps - clean, smooth highs, clear mids (IMO, slightly scooped) and solid bottom - not sure how that translates to bass amps though. You can get them, re-branded, under names like Groove Tubes or Ruby. Not sure if Electro Harmonix (EH) offers them. My previous "current production" fav was Sovtek 12AX7 SLPs, w/c can also found under GT, Ruby, or EH, or under it's own name. Mesa-Boogie also re-brands tubes under their own name. JJ/Tesla tubes are said to be good as well.

3. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Is there any tube I can use that would give me a little more grain or distortion?

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hmmm.... no offense, but it sounds like the man knows what he wants. You could try a JJ ECC83s (that's a 12ax7), they'll give you a little more grit than some. I just dropped a new Groove Tubes 12ax7M into one of my amps, it sounds pretty good (expensive though, mine cost 25 bucks). Also if you can get your hands on a genuine Mullard from the late 60's or early 70's, try that. They have a killer sounding upper midrange peak that works perfectly for bass, it'll give you some nice grind in the string noise range.

5. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    The King of Tube amps, Mesa/Boogie 400+, 12 power tubes, and tons of headroom. I think they are rated at 500 watts now.

David T

6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Try Bob @ eurotubes.com about the JJs, that's all he sells, tell him what you're looking for. AFAIK, he some some that are have higher gain than normal.

I want to try that tube as well. But at $25, it's about the same price a NOS JAN Phillips 12AX7.

Ah yes, good ol' Mullard. I tried some CV4004s (slightly lesser gain than the ECC83) in my Eden, sweet sounding tube. About $75-85 a pop. It ended up in my Triaxis though.

7. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thanks everbody. I'm going to check into those JJ tubes.