1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Tubes Are Best For The Ampeg SVT3-Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 25, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I haven't been able to get home to check out the SVT3-Pro I bought online used in like new condition but I want to go ahead and buy a complete set of tubes for it for when ever I decide to change them. I am new to tubes so I haven't got a clue what is good, great or over rated. I would guess my choice will effect my tone but like I say I need some help here.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In a hybrid amp like the 3Pro, the tubes will typically outlast your love for the amp. Iow, possibly decades. No need to change them until they actually fail, and that could be a long time from now. Just enjoy the amp.

3. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009

I suppose the amp will not operate if a tube fails correct? That's how you know theyve failed?

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    My 3 Pro failed twice for bad solder joints and there are probably 100 other reasons for it to stop working.
    I tried a number of different tubes in the 3 Pro and even expensive Mullards did not make it sound that much better / different

5. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    But if a tube fails you will know it, right?

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Yes a dead tube will cause and obvious problems

7. +1 on all of this.

I had 4 replaced before I gave up on the SVT 3 PRO lol. Changing preamps tubes didn't help with sound.

8. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    It's so awesome when before you buy something (svt3pro) everyone is saying all these great things about it and right after you buy it all the comments turn negative lol... I hope I will like the amp... I haven't had a chance to even look at it yet.

9. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba... Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    The 3Pro is a beast, but like many other hybrid amps on the market, the tubes don't have much effect on tone. The only tube worth swapping is the V1 tube, the first tube your bass signal hits. It may not change up the tone much, but you want to make sure that the V1 tube is the quietest tube in the bunch. Any noise in that early stage of the preamp turns into a whole lotta noise once it hits the power section.

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I've had my 3 pro for almost 10 years, and I replaced the tubes with JJs about halfway through. I don't remember if I noticed much sonic improvement/difference, but it's still going strong. I'm definitely in the camp that likes this amp.

A lot of other people seem to have a lot of problems with them, but mine has been great to me. It's mostly my practice/backup amp right now, but it's nice to have around for the smaller gigs when I don't want to bust my back over my 2-PRO.

11. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I have owned a lll pro for lots of years and the pre and drive tubes do effect the tone. I had the chance to a b mine with a new one and the sound was very different. I like the chinese c9 12ax7 and the new old stock 12au7 that is in the driver section. three 12ax7s are in the pre section and a 12ax7 and a 12au7 are in the power drive section. I could tell the stock amp sounded very flat compaired to mine. It was a newer pro 3 the one i have is made in 1997 and is made in usa. the other was made by loud in wearever ville. So do some tube rollin and make your own conclusions.