Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What tubes for 70's SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the dude, May 23, 2005.

1. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I just picked up a couple pair (understand I only need one pair) of RCA 12BH7 tubes.

Does anybody have a list of optimal tubes for this baby? It works great (maybe I shouldn't mess with it?) but I doubt what is in there is anything special.

Thanks.

2. Bingo. It's a driver tube. If it couldn't do the job, you'd know it.

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    If they're Blackplates, I may be interested in a pair for my McIntosh.

4. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I guess I didn't state my question very well. Here's another attempt:

Not too long ago I got a 70's SVT. I had it serviced by Uncle Albert's. He's the best.

Probably in part to save me $, I noticed he only replaced a couple of tubes.

It works fine as it stands.

My question is this: Can I improve the sound by putting better tubes in it? Do I need to make a list of what's in it?

...or am I wasting my time?

Thanks!

5. I think the general vibe is better tubes will last longer, but all tubes sound different, so if its not the kind of sound your looking for a few changes of the pre tubes could make a fair difference i think

6. My VR400 had one of his stickers in it when I got it. I wouldn't say he's the best. Not bad, but he left lotsa stuff that I ended up fixing myself, mostly preventative things to save trouble down the road.

I got that.

Probably not. If you have a 'low grade' driver tube, the amp will crap out at high volume and "choke" its sound.

Most likely.

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I've never lived with an SVT, so I can't speak to the specifics. I've found in my somewhat limited experience that drivers and phase splitters can make significant differences in tone and overall presentation. And I'm not just talking about rolling in a different tube to replace a POS with an NOS, either.

A lot depends on how revealing the rest of the amplifier circuit and entire signal chain is.

8. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Cool beans...I'll keep my $$$.