Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What tubes would be a good upgrade for a Mesa Basis M-2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vegaas, Apr 23, 2003.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Really happy with the M-2000 so far, but I am wondering what its capable of. Can anyone recommend upgrades to the stock tubes that come with it?
    Thanks,
    Vegaas

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Mad Sub experimented with this a while back. I forget what his results were, but it should show up in a search. I think he said Svets sounded really good. Or was those Sovteks? Hmmm. :oops: :confused: :p

3. I put JJ teslas in mine and am really enjoying the thick natural compression they give in my m2k. The stock tubes were a bit limiting and just werent as musical as the tesla's. I tried the Sov 12ax7LPS and liked them but they just werent as lush as the tesla's. I also tried some GT's (I've heard they are relabeled Ruby's anyhow) and they were attrocious.

I called Tim at MB about 2 years ago and he contended that changing the tubes in the m2k are ineffectual for one reason or another. That was disheartening, even tho I disagree. I hear noticable differences with changing out the tubes. YMMV
    Corey