Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Tuner do you use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Apr 11, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Not sure what category to post this in. Mod- please move if this is wrong place to post.

I am curious what tuners people use?? I've had pretty good luck with boss. I've been using the Boss Tu-12 for a long time. I recently switched to the Tu-12H, which seems to get better low frequency response. I'm thinking about getting the Tu2 pedal, but I've never owned one. What do you guys feel is the most accurate, reliable tuner for bass?

2. ;)

3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
  4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    [​IMG]

I just bought this Korg DT10 about a week and a half ago. It's a pretty awesome little tuner. I love the fact that it's foot pedal that gives me the note display and of course mute right there in front of my chain. The LED's are nice and bright too. If you want a pedal tuner, I recommend it.

5. Korg CA-20
    [​IMG]

Pure bangin man :p

Thinking about maybe a DTR-2000 in the future, after a new amp and another 4 string

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    DTR-200. Its a beast. Although its on my pedalboard :)

7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I use the Boss TU-2. It's convenient, practical, accurate, and I can set it up as an A/Y box to split my signal to two differnt amps. Pretty cool.

Matt

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    How does this compare to the rackmount korg tuners?

9. The only problem I've found with my older DTR-1000 is that it's too accurate. In other words, you spend a lot of time bouncing around between flat and sharp.

I still prefer my old Boss TU-12H.

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    BOSS TU-2 on the pedal board. It's accurate, even to a low C (on an E-string), and is rugged. Since I play with lot of accousit guitar players, they all love that they can tune real quick and not have a bunch of gear of their own on stage.

I keep a KORG GA-30 in the kit of each of my guitars (along with tools, cables, etc.) For a $15.oo "credit card" tuner, it's great! It DOES go to a Low B. Actually I was goofing off with my "beater" 4-string, and detuned to CGCF, and it didn't have a problem tracking. I use it on my acoustic rig, sending the signal out of the 1/4" output on my Mic Preamp. It handles the increased wattage w/out a problem.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Boss TU-2 Tuner Pedal. It's a good tuner AND it's a mute switch as well. Great for switching basses. I hate listening to poeple tune. It should be done in silence.

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Agreed...very amateur, and annoying IMO.

13. I own one of them and can't live without it! I find it alot better than the TU-2 (one of my guitarists has one) and comparred with the rackmount korgs I find it almost better!

I believe it's the same basic circuit but with less display segments, for me this is a good thing as it doesn't flash around too much... to me the rack tuners are almost too accurate :bag:

Also it has all the useful qualitys of a pedal... very useful if your up front of a stage and like talking to your crowd and tuning at the same time :)

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hmm...might be worth checking out.

15. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Boss TU-2, and a Korg CA-20 as backup. I'd recommend the TU-2 anyday.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Korg CA-30

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    yep, me too. I like it because it just shows me a big note, it's easy to use.

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Korg GA-30.

I don't really trust tuners, I just play a song in E (ie Metallica) then get the E right then tune everything else to it; or I tune to my guitarists because they have locking nuts so it's harder for them to tune.

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I started using a Rocktron X-Tune a couple of weeks ago. So far I'm happy with it.

Pros:
    1. Durable all aluminum construction.
    2. Tracks fast (have not tried a low-B on it yet)
    3. Accurate
    4. Works muted or unmuted.
    5. Very bright LED's for sharp/flat/tune
    6. Only $59.00

Cons:
    1. Does not have digital read out of string being tuned.
    2. Small letters on chromatic scale are harder to see. (altough they are legible from a standing posistion)