What tuner should I get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Arti, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Arti

Sep 23, 2005
    Need a new tuner...what's reliable, easy to use, and relatively cheap? Price isn't too big of a concern but I don't want to pay any more than I have to.
  2. Boss TU-2

I need a tuner too and a lot of people recommend it.
  3. Korg DT-10 is an alternative to Boss TU-2. It is wider so the display is bigger. These are tuners in the shape of a pedal as you may or may not know. You can stay plugged in and tune.
  4. Is there any smaller alternative?
    Easier to transport?

Do I sound lazy?
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a Fender PT-100 (not to be confused with the POS PT-10). Big 8 segment LED display, blue and red LED tuning scale, mute and normal out, 9V cell or Boss style plug. $50.00
  6. You can always get a cheaper $15-$25 chromatic tuner. Fits in your pocket and gets the job done.

Boss makes some, and IIRC Korg does too.
  7. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    I use a Korg GT-12 and it does its job very well. :)
  8. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    you should get a metronome that has all of the pitches and do it by ear

It will greatly help your pitch training and then you can do it by year

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have had good results with Korg.
  10. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004

11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Boss TU-2.

Not only is it a tuner pedal, but it also works as a mute switch for changing basses. I hate listening to people tune on stage.
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a TU-2 and like it a lot. It works well on stage. Outside under bright conditions it can be hard to read.

I plug it into the tuner out on the amp so it is not in my signal path. I prefer the sound of the passive bass straight to the amp. It sounds somewhat warmer IMHO.
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Another vote for a TU-2
  15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    FWIW, I have a boss TU-12H. I'm thinking about getting the TU-2 though. Because- I have my TU12-H velcro'd to my pedal board, and I went to move it the other day and ripped the thing in half. :confused: :( Guess I don't know my own strength. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Its a great tuner, just kinda flimsy. But for the $ I'd buy a TU-2 instead. Makes more sense on a board too.
  16. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Peterson StroboStomp is the fastest most accurate chromatic tuner
  17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I guess a Peterson is relatively cheap.
  18. if you can't afford a TU-2 tuner, I have a Dan-O-Matic tuner pedal that works pretty well. Have out and mute out, so I can use it while switching basses too. Just make sure you have an adapter while you use it, without one, the screen isn't backlit.
  19. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Korg chromatic tuner (ca-30?)

it works, and can be set at diffrent concert pitches.
  20. Yes, but if it is not quiet around you it will pick up sounds from the room and the indicator will go all over the place.

It is good for tuning acoustic instruments, though.

The Korg GA-30 Guitar and Bass tuner should be a better choice if one is looking for a pocket-style digital tuner.