1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What tunings do you play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Unemploid, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. E standard

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. E & Eb standard

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. E - D standard

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. D - B standard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. C standard and lower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. My band plays E standard tuning It's quite an obscure tuning.

My friend plays around drop C. It seems to me, modern rock/metal bands play at lower tunings.

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Standard & 1/2 step down.

bassbully and Unemploid like this.
  3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I have Basses and guitars tuned in E Standard, Eb, and D standard. My current band usually sticks to E and Eb. My last band was Drop C.

Unemploid likes this.
  4. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I always played with horns and keyboards. Always tuned to Concert C.

Unemploid likes this.
  5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Mostly regular. My last band, I switched to drop-D and found it really enjoyable.

Unemploid likes this.
  6. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Probably the most common "alternate tuning", Drop-D, isn't even an option in your pill.

elgecko likes this.
  7. A lot of older Black Sabbath tunes are in C# Standard, which is as low as I go, but I use a Drop pedal for anything under Eb.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Generally Email standard. One band downtune a half step when we do Boston tunes.

9. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I prefer standard tunings, but once in awhile I tune my short scale down to D standard because I like the way it sounds. For practical purposes I'll just grab the 5 string since most anything I play below E can go all the way down to B.

There are a handful of songs I play that go down to Bb, and for that the 7 string is nice. But I'd also like to try a 6 string tuned to low A standard, it might just give me everything I want.

Never cared for drop tunings, or retuning in general. I realize they're helpful for a lot of songs in certain genres, but what little of those I play I play on the 5 string.