1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What TV commercials/reoccurring 'characters' in commercials annoy you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michedelic, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

For example, I realize that 'Flo' from the Progressive ads may bug some of you, but I once had a friend with that kind of personality, but I think she's cute, plus I actually know one of the two actors portraying the two clueless 'competing' insurance guys in the suits, so that's always a kick. I am bugged by those two dorks in the Sonic Drive-in commercials, they should just get a room and get it over with. The cartoon anti-depressant enhancer ad with the mopey soccer mom is just plain creepy, mother's little helper indeed. Any pharma ad that promises fantastic relief from what ales you, then follows up with a litany of disclaimers about fatal or damaging side-effects is just disturbing. Marriage Boot Camp of the Reality Stars? ***? Who watches this @#%&? I mean, Honey Boo Boo was good for a laugh, then it just got disgusting. YMMV, but I WOULD crawl through broken glass to get at the new 'Wendy', and I don't even eat there(the restaurant). Oh, by the way, get off my yard.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Not a TV ad, but you know those (insert city here)jobshop.com ads they run on the radio? I hate those.

Americans hate them much worse. When traveling through the States years ago, the current spot for them was the one where she sings a lame song horribly off-key, I hated the commercial but it still came on regularly. The States saw a similar ad, except it was the woman commenting on all the death threats she had received over the commercial so she was just going to say check out (wherever)jobshop.com. I heard it in a couple different states.

The follow-up ad never ran in Canada, so I don't doubt for a second she received a pile of death threats about her singing. I always thought it was comical.

3. 123321

123321 Am Comfortably Dumb... Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Piss on this thread!!! :) I mean that in a kind and gentle way!!

I actually had an idea for a thread the other day but seemed to have forgotten it right now... Meanwhile, what in the f**k does this have to do with bass playing??

Just in case I've missed the point of the thread, I'd take Flo for a LONG Drive... Oh Yeah, in a heartbeat!! Is that what this thread is about??

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    "Can you hear me now?" Guy. I'd break his nose gladly (the character not the actor of course).

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You and a billion other dudes. Something about redheads...especially ones with that "pure and innocent" persona.

joebar and Plucky The Bassist like this.
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I don't think Flo is even the least bit cute but I don't find her annoying. The girl in the Wendy's ads, not cute either but is a little annoying. The guys in the Sonic commercial are definitely annoying. I can't stand the credit card ads and the Xfinity ads with Jimmy Fallon. I've never been a fan of his and don't find him funny at all. The Prilosec ads with Larry the Cable Guy also annoy me. He's not funny and I can't stand his voice. I don't like the Geico ads with the camel. The Free Credit Score Band is another one. I also don't care for the guy in the Dos Equis ads. The JG Wentworth ads are terrible.

New car ads bug me. They almost never tell you anything about the car. The hamsters in the car commercial for example. I sometimes see ads and think how could an advertising executive even approve this ad?

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Everyone in the Sprint 'Framily' series of commercials should be burned alive (in commercial-land). Yes, even the hamster.

Also, DirecTV took a HUGE nosedive when they went from the great "Don't End Up in a Roadside Ditch" & "Don't Have a Grandson with a Dog Collar" commercials to the current ones with the marionettes.

GregC likes this.
  8. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    funny side story about one of those "hampsters". Seems like one of the guys in one of those costumes was attempting to collect disability payments because he was "immobile" lol lol lol, but the feds caught him.

Squinty Jones and Kmonk like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That #%&€ d#%&%'en lizard gekco whatever. Tastes like chicken.

Shouldn't this be in OT?

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This is the first time I have heard anything remotely close to this come out of a heterosexual males mouth (or read on the internet ;))

11. I dont consider my self someone who is weak stomached at gross things, but the anti-smoking commercial where the women sounds like a robot and has a trake and a hole in her neck. I iust look away or change the channel till its over. Although I will say its a smart advertising campaign as it would severley scare me from smoking if i ever wanted to try

12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I hate commercials.

esa372 likes this.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Well I am heterosexual and sorry, but I don't find Flo or the Wendy's girl cute. However, Paige Spara, the girl in the Forever Mark Jewelry Commercial is gorgeous.

SasquatchDude likes this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

Nobody is arguing you on Flo. And I am not familiar with the latter business... but I might google them now just to see their rep.

On a side note, I know there is at least one TBer who is (at least was) the voice of a franchise.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    ALL OF IT

esa372 and Haji like this.
  16. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I personally, despise flo.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have mixed emotions on this one. Doubt if she's a real redhead but I wouldn't mind finding out firsthand. Problem is that she eats Wendy's every friggin day so she's probably really gassy and will blow up like a life raft as soon as someone slips a ring on her finger.

Dealdash.com also bugs the hell out of me. If you're not familiar with the concept, do a search.

Riis

18. The ads for testosterone replacement and/or boner pills. 50ish guy with scruffy beard, doing manly things like driving a boat at full throttle; 30ish hottie wife, biting her lower lip and fluttering her eyelashes. Oh, you're so cute honey! I got some of these pills, let's go upstairs and ****! :vomit:

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Durn things are expensive and, if they don't kick in in time, they best you can do is smack her in the head with....

Oh, never mind.

Riis

20. Her name is Morgan Smith Goodwin, and appears to be a strawberry blonde naturally.

I hate all commercials, especially ones that trend stupid things like hamsters, but the two worst ones are the framily and the two losers from Sonic.