What two effects might be most useful for bassists?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dave44, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Just a courious question.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Compressor and EQ - if you count those as effects.

Apart from those I can't see any effects a bass player "should" have. ;)

But, OK, depending on music style

Chorus and octaver *or* Chorus and envelope filter
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I personally don't consider compression to be an effect. I'm also not sure whether tube emulation counts, but I like my SansAmp Bass Driver very much; I use it to add just a bit of grit. The only other effect I have is an EBS BassIQ envelope follower, but I don't use it very much.
  4. A tuner should be #1. It might not be what you consider an effect, but it has the biggest overall effect on your sound. It's the starting point.

#2...Chorus. For playing w/ a fretless.
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Time and Taste.

I need no other effects.
  6. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I don't think there are any "must haves". It all depends on your situation. My band is basically all covers and I use overdrive and chorus most often.
  7. Well, there's no real need for effects... like said. But if I go for anything, I go for something completely different. So I can take different roles in a band situation, I like Synths and Distortions for that. Everything else is pretty useless for consistant use, but still good for coloring parts.
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I'd agree with having a good tuner, but I only preach it. I have yet to get my hands on a decent tuner like a DTR-1/2 or other tuner that tunes within 1 cent.

A wah-wah pedal is nice as well, but only for certain bass solo occasions.
  9. mostho

Aug 23, 2002
    I think that the best effects are made by your finger and your touch.

BTW I think that the must are:
    - an equalizer, to solve some small problem of room
    - an octaver to play with.

A tuner for me is not considered as an effect, but is considered an useful device, a must-have at all!!

10. Hmmm...

A Sadowsky preamp if you have a passive bass.

An amp is sometimes necessary, though a PA often does.

I am rapidly becoming convinced of the need for a Sansamp, too.

I have never managed to work out what the rest are for, though I did manage to make a bass chorus work once.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    YES! How could I forget the SansAmp? It's a must-have for both recording and PA, had I known what I know today I would have bought it before all other pedals. It's not a flashy or noticable effect, it just gives you good sound.
  12. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    The stuff that proceeds is all IMO, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda...

In my experience, and for my personal taste, the two "effects" (I tend to agree with most people that compression, EQ, tuner, etc... are necessary tools and not true effects) one should have are a good OD (For fattening the signal and making it a little fuzzy) and a phaser. WHAT!? A phaser, you say? Well, in my experience a good phaser is an invaluable tool and, with the help of an expression pedal or a tap tempo device, can really make for a brilliant sound and mimic a few other effects if need be. But hey, just my opinion (And it's not like I limit myself to just two effects anyway. :D )
  13. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    A riveting stage presence and earth-shakin' bottom.

If you don't have those, then it's chorus, compression, and EQ.
  14. Actually, I think I'll change my choice. Good though Sadowskies and sansamps are, I think what I really need are:

<li>A groove pedal
    <li>A skill enhancer

If anyone can recommend some, I'd be grateful
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oooooh, somebody got in trouble
  16. Chris,

those are the ones I need!
  17. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    LOL I think we all do at some point
  18. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    For me it's distortion and... something else.

A tuner! thats it.
  19. Nah, just got tired of it after a while... everyone fears me dispite the sig anyway :rolleyes: :rolleyes: