1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What type/brand of strings do you use on your fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jay Mastro, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    Let me know please! Also, let me know what kind of fretless bass you are using!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Is what you are really asking 'What strings should I use on my fretless?' ?
    'Cause that question gets asked and answered a lot, and a big factor is what's your fingerboard material and what kind of sound are you looking for?

So please - do the search, because the answers are there...

But I'll answer the question you actually asked - I use D'Addario FlexSteels; my main instrument has a DiamondWood fingerboard. I also used GHS Deep Talkin' Flats on an ebonol fingerboard. For softer boards, a smoother string is usually recommended - flats, half-round, or pressure-wound. But you can use anything. Really...

3. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    I'm just curious to see what people prefer, I do not doubt that their opinions will help me form my own on the subject, but I am interested in what people are using, have used, want to use, and on what kind of bass

4. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I have a Pedulla Pentabuzz, and I play Pedulla steel roundwound strings. The fretboard has a polyester coating, so no worries about tearing up the wood.

5. 1979 Aria SB-1000, rosewood board.
    My No. 1 choice are Rotosound Pressurewounds (.045-.105), but I did run it with Hartke nickel roundwounds for a year or more. Tried Status half-rounds for all of about an hour before taking them off - way too smooth for me.

I've gone over to the Roto's as my string of choice for everything now. Just the right amount of 'tooth' from the windings, & they seem to last well too.

Yes, the board on the fretless gets tramlined, but it takes two to three years before it gets to be a problem & I have to get it shot in again; I just view that as maintenance. Once the board is on it's last turn I'll think about an ebony replacement. but that's unlikely to be any time soon.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Carvin LB70F, Carvin Icon 5F, and Carvin Bromberg 5F. All with epoxied ebony fingerboards. I use DR Fat Beams on each.

MM

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Also you might receive more & better responses to your post, Jay, if you had posted it in the correct subforum. Since you are inquiring about strings, in this case that would be the "Strings" subforum.

MM

Jay Mastro likes this.
  8. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    Didn't even realize that I didn't, is it possible to switch it? or should i just repost it?

9. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    G&L ASAT w/ebony board -- GHS Tapewounds
    Squier VM Jazz w/ebonal board -- GHS Pressure Wound
    Warmoth Gecko 6 w/pau ferro board -- GHS Brite Flats

10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Please don't repost it.
    Just click 'report' and bring it to the attention of a moderator.
    They can and do move threads all the time, but it might take them a while to notice.
    Not every 'Report' is a bad thing - it's just a request for moderator attention...

11. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    Thank you! I ended up posting a different question in strings, which is pretty much asking peoples opinions on flatwounds vs roundwounds on a fretless bass

12. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    GHS Pressurewounds

13. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Peavey Foundation fretless-DR Sunbeam 40-100.

14. I play a myriad of fretless basses. Different board materials, pickup configurations. I use steel rounds. Play pretty heavy music pretty often. Like someone said above, ghost marks on a fretless board happen. Routine maintenance alleviates worry, and I think those marks add to the personality of tone for each bass. Also? No fretless player I looked up to used flats. I do not like them. Except in certain instances when I need "that" sound. I use D'addario ProSteels or FlexSteels. Dependin on my mood.

15. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    Sadowsky black label 100-40 flats on my fretless. I got them two weeks ago I'm just blown away by them!!

16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Both of my fretless basses have ebony boards. The frankenfender with PJ PUPs has Lakland (GHS) flats. When that was the only fretless she mostly wore DR Sunbeams. The Lakland 494 has a set of Lakland stainless steels, but will likely ho back to nickel rounds, either Sunbeams or D'Addario balanced lights.

17. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    I use Rotosound RS66LD on my graphite necked Jazz and Fender 9050ML on my Ebony fingerboard P bass.

18. i use light gauge Chromes on both my Conklin/Groove Tools Fretless 5 and my Squier VM Jazz Fretless...
    Works for me, ymmv.

19. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Brasil
    I use Halfs, D'Addario lights, ENR70 + NHR130T "B" on my Marleaux Diva 5, heard rosewood fingerboard.

20. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    GHS Boomers .040-.095