1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type of 1/4" plug is this? ANYBODY?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groove9028, Aug 28, 2007.

1. groove9028

groove9028

May 25, 2004
    I've seen this connector on some older style patch cables usually the coiled/spiralled type. Would anybody be able to tell me specifically a name for this type of plug?

THANKS!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    a right angle plug?

3. groove9028

groove9028

May 25, 2004
    Hmm.. Well, that struck me at first.. I'm fully aware that it's a right angle plug. WHAT TYPE OF right angle plug.. any special name?

4. Cheap, economy, low-cost, Bluddiorful etc. etc.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A cheap one? Seriously, just ask for the cheapest right angle plug.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That one took me a minute, and a re-read or two, but I got it. Freakin' hilarious!

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    are you asking for the brand name of that particular plug? Otherwise, they are just commonly known as right angle plugs.

8. Just your garden variety Rat Shack (Chinese) or Switch Craft right angle
    http://www.switchcraft.com/

They do a nice job on pedal boards and on speaker cables where room is an issue.
    MM

9. groove9028

groove9028

May 25, 2004
    wow. i never thought they would be considered so cheap. these caught my eye because they sit nice and flat where ever you plug it into. what makes them so "economy" or cheap? is it because it doesn't have some fancy shrink wrap around the connector with a brand? or does it not function very well?

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    They're price :D

EDIT: sarcastic remarks aside, cheap cables lack the same shielding that more expensive cables have (NOISE ISSUES!). They are made with cheaper wire (less pure forms of copper), and you'd be amazed how that "shrink wrap around the connector with a brand" protects your cable's jacks from bending and damage to the connections!

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    They tend to be very cheaply made of stamped metal. They also have a cheesy little disk that insulates the wires from the metal case. If you don't get it just right the jack shorts out.

I bought a couple since they where the only right angled jacks that the local electronics store sells, but I won't use them.

12. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Man, Those brought back memories from the 60's for me. They are a *itch to solder and are about the crappiest plugs I have ever encountered.

But if they work for you go for it !!!!!

Mike

13. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Here are some better ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Now just attach a 15 ft coiled cord,and you're good to go.

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Like Fogerty or Stills!

16. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    The better Switchcraft and Neutrik plugs are machined where the working part joins the base of the plug. The cheapies are just a barrel riveted to the bass, via a VERY SMALL rod from the tip. It WILL FAIL at the most innopportune time.

The Neutrik is the best, although it's the bulkiest, too.