What type of Amp do you have?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Jan 29, 2006.

1. All-Tube

38 vote(s)
  2. Hybrid

75 vote(s)
  3. Solid- State

104 vote(s)
  1. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I have a Solid-State now, But it's soon going to be upgraded to All-Tube!!!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Solid state forever. Nothing against tubes, but they are just not part of my own sound.
  3. Hybrid. Aguilar DB750. (tube front end if anyone didn't know already)
  4. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Cool. I really love the tone of those things.
  5. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I never understood the advantage of tube. I know it gives you more volume, but doesn't it detract the versatility?
  6. Different sound. Mostly just warmer. And it doesn't necessarily give you more volume.
  7. Kinda off topic....

I know that hybrids usually have preamp tubes and a SS power section, but are there any amps with a SS preamp and a tube power section? Is this possible?
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
  10. Thunderfunk.... clean, quick, loud, light, hassle-free transistors:D
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Carvin makes a tube power amp. You could combine it with anything. But I think that once you have all of the infrastructure for a tube preamp (filament and plate supply), and given the market value added by tubes, a "reverse hybrid" bass head seems unlikely.
  12. I figgered
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Solid state. Loud enough, sounds GREAT! No reason to change.
  14. 1) Peavey Firebass 700II solid state
    2) Kustom 200b1 Old solid state
    3) Mesa Boogie M-2000 Hybred
    4) Mesa Boogie 400+ All Tubes
    5) Sunn 300t All Tubes
    The big things with tubes is a much warmer sound and soft clipping that sounds Good as oposed to hard clipping from solid state that sounds really bad.
  15. MusicMan had a line of amps in the 80's that was just that... tube power and a solid state pre... didn't make a lot of sense to me, but they sounded good none-the-less. I owned a 130 back then and it was nice.

As Bob Lee points out all the time, a good power amp should accurately and transparantly amplify the signal put into it... so it makes more sense to warm up the tone with a tube at the preamp stage and punch out a ton of quick, clean power with transistors at the power amp stage... which is the logic behind the many hybrid heads made today.
  16. LMAO!!