1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type of amp to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elmonosucio, Apr 2, 2006.

1. I am new to bass guitar and want to know what type of amp to get, one that is good but not too expensive, so pretty much a beginner amp.

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Are you serious about playing? If you are, spend the money. Great sound is very inspirational when just starting out. Plus it'll keep you from G.A.S. You'll play more and shop less. If you're just piddling, at least stay away from Crate.

3. I am serious about playing, but don't have an enormous amount of money to spend on an amp because i also need to buy my bass. Do you have any suggestions on what I should get, like brand names and models?

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    What do you have to spend? And what type of music? Fill out your profile, too.

5. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    Price range and type of music you want to play would help.

6. I can spend up to 200 dollars on the amp, and for the type of music I enjoy listening to, would be almost all classical rock, but if I had to pick a favorite band it would be Red Hot Chili Peppers.

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Well, if you're trying to cop that tone, it's a GK amp and an Ernie Ball Stingray that he used for a lot of years. Not cheap. For $200, there ain't much. Try Musician's Friend or similar and shop by price. As for the bass, get some that ain't a POS. I did, and 25 years later, that hunk of unplayable crap still feels familiar in my hands!:eek: I developed some bad habits compensating for it's poor construction. May I ask how much you're spending on the bass?

8. A good starter rig that you can play out with would be:

Fender Standard Jazz bass (mexico) $299 +
    Ibanez SR bass $300 + (take your pick from the models)
    Carvin B800 head $429 or Used Peavey FireBass head

You should be able to get a good rig four $1,000.

9. A $200 amp, go with a new or used Peavey.

10. My brother currently plays guitar and he said that he has an amp, X-10, would this amp be suitable for a bass or would it not be able to produce a desired sound. And as for your questio BadB of how much i can spend on bass I am going to say up to 350 dollars. If possible could you give me a suggestion of if that is enough to buy a decent bass. Thanks.

11. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    For classic rock, Fender P or J. Don't know about the X10. You should be able to get a Mexican made Fender for under $350, like jamesblue said. They are hit or miss as far as quality goes. Ibanez would be more sure, IMO. His suggestion for a Peavey for under $200 seems reasonable. In the future, when you hate your tone while playing in a band, you're going to GAS for a tube amp. That I can pretty much guarantee.

12. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    If you're really just starting out and only need an amp for practicing, there are plenty of combo amps that can be had new for less than $200 bucks. Check out one of the online retailers like Musician's Friend.

However, if the amp is going to be "gigged", you might want to hang on a bit, save up a little more dough, and find a "pre-owned, pro-level" unit at a pawn shop or on one of the everpresent eBay auctions.

Don't forget to shop around, and try out as many amp configurations as you can "in person". That'll help you begin to narrow down the tone qualities you're after. And don't ever be afraid to ask more questions of your fellow Talk-Bass'ers. This forum is a very good resource.

A little homework now will save you from some headaches further down the road.

13. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    the SX jazz bass may seem something for you. you can see it at www.rondomusic.com
    never played one, but many TB'ers seem to praise them for 100bucks or so. a use peavey combo for amp like said before is prob a good option. as starter i bought a randall 100W and it did very well for the first year of playing. i dont know about us prices cuz i live in europe (where the gear is expensive). 100W is enough to play with drums and 2guitars on rehearsel so it isnt wasted money.

14. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    After a recommendation of a friend I bought an Ashdown Perfect Ten for a combo practice amp ($160.00 new) and I have been very happy with it. For a few dollars more you could step up to the Ashdown Five Fifteen combo (more power). I kinda wish I would have spent a little more for a lot more power. but I'm still happy with Ashdown.