what type of amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tormos, Jun 5, 2004.

1. tormos

Jun 5, 2004
    I have been playing for a couple of years now, and am ready to purchase a new amp. I have been using just a practice amp.

What should I start looking at? A combo or head/cab stack?

What brands should I start looking at?

What about speaker size? 12" or 15"?

What wattage?

I know these things depend on what I use it for so...

I play hard rock with a progressive edge to it. I like a dark sound but do need some clarity. Most of the music I play is riff based. I don't gig (yet) I just write with a guitar friend of mine. We do record though. We are looking for a drummer to write with and possibly start looking for gigs with so I would like something with enough power to do small venues.

As far as budget, I dont really want to spend over $500.

Thanks for any direction you an give me.
  2. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    If I had that budget I'd probably look in the direction of a used SRW Super Redhead or something along those lines. New, they cost over $1k but I've seen them in consignment and second hand shops for around $500. 210, 350w with room for an expansion cab, should be perfect for you.
  3. Randi

Jun 4, 2004
    Camron Park CA
    :) I personally like the line 6 series. It has good sound for hard rock, and it is good quality. I have Gallien Crugger, which is also good, and affordable. I have only been playing for three years, and I have only done 1 show :rollno: . I have a show coming up on the 13th. It should be interesting, beause I am playing on my new equipment for the first time. I have turned up the volume on my amp, and it sounds really good. I have a backline 350 head, with a backline 115 cabnet, made by Gallien Crugger. I just bought them about a week ago with my new bass :bassist: . I like the 15" speaker. It is better for louder shows. And when yo do a show with a guitarist, there tends to be some competition if you don't have a large enough cabnet. I went to Guitar Center on Arden, and Alta Arden off 80. They have good service, and they can tell you every thing about anything. Talk to Ben. He is good.

Randi :)
  4. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    You could buy my combo ;-) it is well within your budget. It is actually what I would've suggested, but I need to sell it to help pay for a head. You can get a new one also for under $500, should be around $400 actually. If you want to look up more information on it it's an Ampeg BA-115 (NOT a BA-115SP or BA-115HP.) I have gigged with it against a 50w tube half stack and drummer and it was plenty loud.