What type of Bass cabs are being used by Rhonda Smith on Jeff Beck Live at the Hollywood Bowl

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DAcat, Feb 25, 2018.

1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    This is a great DVD and Ive never heard Rhonda Smith sound better with Jeff Beck, but I'm not familiar with the 3 bass cabs stacked behind her. they sure sound great!! Dpes anyone knnow??
    Peace,
    DAcat

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I believe that they're custom-made Paul Reed Smith 212s with JBL 2206s. At one point, she was using a JCF Audio preamp and Crest Audio Pro 8200 power amps to drive everything, but I'm not completely sure about the Hollywood Bowl show.

DAcat likes this.
  3. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Last I heard, she was using Mesa Boogie amps and cabs.

DAcat likes this.
  4. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa

Well Garp, you seem to have some inside informtion that I was unable to obtain even by specifically asking at the PRS Website. I'm unable to be sure which speakers or how many are in the cabs...but the cabs look almost exactly like the PRS Stealth 410 cab, and maybe they just stuck in 4 - 10 inch bass drivers instead. But the PRS emblem and positioning looks exactly like the Stealth 410 cab by PRS The initials PRS are written with such flair that I had previously been unable to make it out. As you said, it appears that these are custiom make cabs just for here , but who knows, PRS may finally get into low frequency amplifier building.

And bgartist, you were partially correct, as she had been using Mesa amps and Cabs until just recently...the reason she changed may have something to do with the fact that

5. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    (This a completed version of my incomplte reply above). Well Garp, you seem to have some inside informtion that I was unable to obtain even by specifically asking at the PRS Website. I'm unable to be sure whichspeakers or how many are in the cabs...but the cabs look almost exactly like the PRS Stealth 410 cab, and maybe they just stuck in 4 - 10 inch bass drivers instead. But the PRS emblem and positioning looks exactly like the Stealth 410 cab by PRS The initials PRS are writtenwith such flair that I had previouslybeen unable to make it out. As you said, it appears that these arecustiom make cabs just for here , but who knows, PRS may finallyget into low frequency amplifierbuilding.

And bgartist, you were partially correct, as she had been using Mesa amps and Cabs until just recently...the reason she changed may have something to do with the fact that recently Rhonda has been using 2 Paul Reed Smith basses.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I did'nt know PRS made amps or cabs:meh:.

7. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have no info on the cabs in question, but I'd down a $5 bet that the tone you're hearing on the DVD has very little to do with the cabs on stage.

MrLenny1 and bgartist like this.
  8. PRS-branded 2x12's

jeff-beck2.jpg 15972_1.jpg

Alan Ace Cooper likes this.
  9. Neither did I.

10. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Neither did I.... hence the thread....and after just a few posts we know that PRS NO LONGER just makes guitars...but in addition to cabs...they also make basses. Does anyone own a PRS BASS besides Rhomda Smith.?
    Peace...DAcat

11. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Gary Grainger of Acoustic Alchemy pretty much put PRS basses on the map.

mc101010-011a.jpg

DAcat likes this.
  12. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Most overrated bass player going. I saw Jeff Beck with Pino Paladino (I feel blessed to have been there) and then saw him with Rhonda. I left after the third song and one solo. Of course the material had changed, but the band was "loose". They sounded as if they had rehearsed very little, and the sound sucked in an excellent venue. Oh well.

13. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    well ...I just saw the Jeff Beck band in St Louis Sat night and The band was amazingly tight-Vinnie Colleita was pure assassin on drums, Jeff was really on, and I thought Rhonda Smith played very well. She was now using what looked like a huge Aggi Tube amp and 810 cab.
    Peace
    DAcat

14. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    DAcat.... They were in Chicago at the Northerly Island outdoor venue last night and you are correct; she played through a Aggi DB 751 and 810 Aguilar cabinet. The rhythm section of Vinnie and Rhonda was as you put it amazingly tight. Had been wanting to see Vinnie live with Jeff for some time and did not disappoint!

DAcat likes this.
  15. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Vinnie was with Jeff for the concert with Pino. Best drummer I've heard in quite some time. Maybe the best around even. My wife and her girlfriend went to see the "New" lineup, and came home very disappointed, especially with Rhonda.

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    A lot of the recent (2018) videos show her with the Aguilar 810 cabinet, but she had what looked like the three 2x12 cab setup in Houston on 7/24/2018. I was there, and it was great! Here's a cellphone video (not taken by me) that doesn't do the sound justice, but it sounded just great in the venue:

Apparently an edit at 0:56sec with a portion of the song cut out.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    DAcat likes this.
  17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I prefer her with Prince...check out the Live At The Alladin, Las Vegas DVD.

DAcat and jerry like this.
  18. jmela

jmela

Jul 24, 2007
    Robbie Shakespeare played them onstage and in the studio for the preceding two decades.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021