Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of bass do you recommend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassapprentice, Apr 15, 2001.

1. bassapprentice

bassapprentice

Apr 15, 2001
    PA
    Hi...im new here and i wanted to know what type of bass do you recommend...right now i am learning on/playing on a G&L L-2000 Series E which my uncle is letting me borrow but i would like to get a bass that i could call my own...right now i am looking at a Fender Standard Jazz bass or an Ibanez SR300 or 400. Please let me know what you recommend. I would love to keep the GL bass but if i were to buy it, i think that i might be paying too much....so other than that please give me your recommendation...of any type of bass out there.I would like to keep the cost under 450. Thanks

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Heh! The same happened to me when I begun playing!
    My Uncle borrowed me a Jazz Bass 69´.
    I really suggest that you get a good bass from starters...
    Do you like the GL??
    Why dont you offer your uncle to buy his bass?
    I think it would be great for you.

3. Sup John! I say get the Jazz or the SR400. The SR300 didn't quite do it for me. For a bit more cash, the SR400 is a noticably better bass. For even more cash, you can get a G&L of your own (hey it could happen one day!):D

4. Hey bassapprentice, when you do get a new bass talk to you uncle about letting me borrow that G&L for a while! just jokeing, I've been wanting an L-2000 for a while now. One thing about the Ibanez SR400, I've played a 405 and wasn't very pleased with the electronics and I've seen many people here say that about all the soundgears. I also wasn't pleased with the B string but that obviously is not an issue with the 400.

5. if you can talk your uncle into selling you that bas cheap enough then do it man, the G&L's are my faovrites that i've played

6. I own an Ibanez SR-400, and i wish i could trade it for a MIM P or J. Or the G&L, but that seems less likely. I liked the bass at first, but now i just loathe it. The electronics are weak and i really dont like the neck, its too thin for me, although thats a matter of personal preference. The sound is ok, but it is dull, and uncomfortable. I wish i had a fender instead, but getting anything new for me now is out of the question. So i would reccomend you stay away from this bass. I know i will stay away from ibanez for the rest of my life.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Ibanez Soundgears are not that great, IMHO.

But the Ibanez BTBs are killer basses for the price. They may be a little out of your price range, the 4 string model lists for $699.99, and most stores seem to be selling them for around $500.

Good basses under $450 are the Yamaha BBN4, Yamaha RBX260, Jackson C20, Hamer Cruise, Dean Edge 4, ESP LTD B104, Spector NS2002B4, Peavey Fury, MIM Fender Jazz or Precision bass, DeArmond Pilot Pro bass, and way too many more to mention.

Go down to your local music store and try out as many as you can in your price range, and see what you like. Or, try to buy that G&L, it's a great bass.

Good luck, and welcome to Talkbass!:)