Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of bass for a Tool sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alacritan, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    I want to start playing bass, since currently I only play guitar, and that way I can switch off in my band. I'm looking for a bass in the 400-800 dollar range, with a low tight sound. Any suggestions?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Let's face it - Chancellor doesn't use an $800 bass to produce that sound. Yeah, it's a very expensive an unfair world for great modern bass tone.

My only suggestions would be to get some DR Hi Beam strings and a hi-fi amp like an SWR to get that meaty punch with a trebly edge that Chacellor has.

The bass would be a whole different story because then we're talking about tonewoods and construction.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you might also need a Wal bass

4. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    Damn you bassists are so ****ing picky. I'm trying to emulate the Tool sound, get something like it, not duplicate it or replace Chancellor. If I hadn't been kicked off their forums, I'd go back to Harmony Central. They may be a bunch of tightasses over there, but at least they give you a straight answer.

5. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Hmmmmmm.......:rolleyes:

PJR

6. I can't imagine why you got kicked off the Harmony Central board...;)

7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    ::sits back and watches the fun unfold::

8. rickbass

Do you want "straight" or "honest" (as in, "what I own"???...like the gibberish at Harmony Central). Most of us try to deal in truth, not what you want to hear or what the "flavor of the month" is playing.

Bottomline, get a Wal bass and forget your budgetary concerns real quick. We were just trying to help you within your dollar constraints. You won't see a Wal for that kind of money unless it's beat up. We can't get by with a cheap instrument and a pedal ghetto.

9. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    I'm looking for AN answer. Any answer at all. Something to consider that narrows the possibilities down from every bass in the the five to eight hundred dollar price range. Right now, I have to look at all of them. If someone who knows about basses could help point me in the direction I'm looking for, I would appreciate that, but it seems, that's not happening.

10. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    here's an answer:
    olp musicman

11. a harmony central reject? hahaha. how low can you go?

anyway if you're not looking to duplicate the sound, anything will work if you have the slightest idea how to use EQ.

12. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    btw, why the need for 3 threads asking the same question?

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Try and find something with a good 3-band EQ on it, preferably one with a selectable or sweepable midrange control. Mids are key to the Tool sound. Some basses in that price range that have mid controls are the Stingray (I think Justin Chancellor used them before he got into Wals), Ibanez BTBs, and the Lakland Skyline series. If you are doing other music besides Tool, the Skyline is the most versatile imho.

I can cop a decent Chancellor sound using my Tune TWX-5. It's not perfect, but it gets me most of the way there. I paid around $700 for a NOS model.

Be sure to stock up on some effects, too -- a good overdrive and chorus especially.

14. rickbass

What we're trying to tell you is that $800 is chump change to get an authentic Chancellor tone!!! Save some money and do it right. There is no faking it.

15. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    Did you spend 2000 for your first bass. Probably not.

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    get a pick. a thick one. that may help.

17. rickbass

Was I trying to replicate a $3k bass.....NO!!! I was just happy to have something that was repectable.

You seem to want Dom Perignon on an MD 20/20 budget. It's not going to happen.

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

But I'll bet YOUR parents will for you. You seem like that type...

Yor question was answered a few times. Lakland Skyline, Wal, Stingray, Fender Jazz. There ya go. 15 posts in one. Try not to complain too much about it.

BTW, beggars can't be choosers.

19. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    Is the pick comment a joke? I use 2.0mm dunlops for my guitar.

20. Alacritan

Alacritan

Aug 6, 2002
    Kingston, NY
    And **** you too, stubby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.