What type of bass sound do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Cold and steely.

18 vote(s)
  2. Warm vintage.

66 vote(s)
  3. Warm modern.

63 vote(s)
  4. No tone mudbroom.

10 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    What kind of sound do you prefer over all? I like a warm modern sound or a warm vintage sound.
  2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I prefer a good tone.
  3. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Too tough to decide. It depends on what the music is.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  6. Isn't this kind of biased towards people who like it warm? I'd describe my preferred sound as "bright," not "cold and steely." :mad: There's a difference. :meh: I will admit that "warm and modern" does sound nice, though. If this thread is really about modern v. vintage tones, then, well, yeah...:ninja:
  7. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    warm modern, since i play modern music.
  8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
  9. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Ric (I'm not too sure where that goes). My tone isn't the usual clanky Ric tone everyone associates with it, it's more like a Jazz bass on PCP with more mids and a solid bottom.
  10. "Rocky and Earthy"

....It sounds warm and thumpy when picked soft, with just a small hint of brightness in the initial attack......a medium attack gives more brightness and midrange presence....and a hard, all-out attack produces harsh metallic grind...bassically the sound of a Rick, or other bright bass fed through a Mesa tube amp that's just starting to break up......

It's brighter than the Ampeg sound, but definately not clean and sterile by any means...
  11. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    It depends on what music you are playing of course, but ive come to generally favor the warm, organic, passive fender-type tone. In my opinion it doesnt get any better than a classic Precision or Jazz through an overdriven tube amp.
  12. Warm and Vintage, No tone mudbroom.

White Rabbit has my favorite bass tone.
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I thought I knew what kind of tone I had untill I saw that it wasnt one of the options in the poll and therefore must not exist.
  14. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    I tried not to make it difficult. So I included three of the most obvious.
    Many, many tones can be lumped into warm vintage, and warm modern of course. Vote as close to one of these as possible.
  15. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    I like it warm vintage, but I can never get that tone >> I seem to be stuck with some sort of... Tone that's.. Okay nevermind. Geez.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

LOL, Nickman.

17. Paul D'amour, Tool's Undertow Album on the song Intolerence.

(Mmmmmm, Overdriven Rickenbacker)
  18. +1 on that...he's the reason I bought a Rick in the first place..His Stingray wasn't too shabby in "Prison Sex" too..

Paul D' Amour and Billy Gould had the ultimate tone on both their band's early albums! "The tone in my head"
  19. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Voted for both warms and mudbroom.

don't like my bass with treble unless it's fuzzzzzzzzed.

if I have my fuzz on and my wah fwd, and I play with a pick I can almost break glass :eek: