Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of bass would this be? *Link/Sound*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yfzcentral, Aug 9, 2005.

1. yfzcentral

yfzcentral

Aug 9, 2005
    Hello All,

First post! :) Well, just a little about myself. I'm 19 and have been a smooth jazz fan for about 4 years now. The past few years I've been going to the concerts, and man, it's like a fricken rock show!! :hyper:

The thing thats always caught my attention is the bass player. ESPECIALLY during the solos or just during a funky song. So my question is this, in the link below, what type of bass would you call this? Like technique basically... I LOVE the sound!!! I'm REALLY REALLY close to just buying a bass and then taking some classes.

Let me know what you think! :D

Go to about 27 minutes into the concert. (especially around 29:20..OoOO)
    http://www.radiokoz.com/concert1.asx

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Man i have no idea what kind of bass that could be. Could be a roscoe being that i just got a similar slap sound out of mine. Cool tunes though :D

3. yfzcentral

yfzcentral

Aug 9, 2005
    Well is it mostly slap, pluck, etc? *im a bass newb, lol*

Thx! :bassist:

4. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    That's standard slap/pop (no not "pop music," I mean pop as in putting your finger under the string and pulling it away from the bass aggressively...POP!).

I don't do much of that myself, but here are some very basic pointers:

1) Round wound strings, especially NEW round wound strings, give you that piano-like growl.
    2) Boost the bass and treble on your amp, and cut the mids.
    3) Use the bridge pickup on your bass.

Since you've never even picked up the instrument, a small word of advice. While it's really cool to have a lofty goal like becoming an accomplished slap/pop player, it is unwise to make that your sole reason for playing the bass IMHO. The fundamentals of groove, timing and techniquue are ABSOLUTELY necessary to get to the level of that guy in the recording. You must learn to walk before you can run, Grasshopper.

Having said that, try googling "slap bass" and reading some of the stuff that's out there. There's a lot of it, and some videos are available as well.

Learning to play bass is a journey, like all things that are worthwhile in life. When I first started I wanted to sound like Chris Squire, then John Entwistle. In the course of my playing I've moved away from that sole focus, taking different directions. I learned that it's not all about aggressive, growly, trebly, busy bass lines. I learned that sometimes the best thing to do is NOT play in a given place in the song. I learned that sometimes a dark, woody, thumpy sound works better. I learned how incredibly important good timing is...and so on. I started out the way most of us do, learning the complicated riffs to my favorite songs, but discovered later on that a really simple I-V bass line can sound amazingly good when it's done in the right context. Less really CAN be more.

So today you might want to play stuff that sounds just like THAT guy, which is great...but don't limit yourself. Learn all you can...it's all good!