What type of basses?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Hey Steve and Michael!
    Just so you know, I love both of y'alls music.
    I was just wondering, what basses you both own now, and what basses y'all owned when y'all first started learning?

Also, I've been playing a 4 string bass for 1 1/2 years now self-taught I might add. I want to upgrade to a 5 or a 6 string bass. And I wanted you recomendation on some. Thanks alot guys!
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi There

I own four basses - three modulus, one Rick Turner. The moduli are two custom 6 strings, one fretted one fretless, and a fretted four. The Rick Turner is a five string fretless Renassaince (I never get the spelling on that right!).

My very first bass was a short scale SG bass copy - cost £25 (about $40), and I thought it was fantastic. Then got a Westone Spectrum DX, then a Fender Jazz, then the first of the Moduli. I also owned a Modulus VJazz Fretless for a while, which was beautiful.

As for recommending basses - it's pretty tough without knowing the size of your hands and the way you play. On a six string, the spacing and neck profile are really crucial to finding a bass that feels comfortable. Some people like wider spacing, others more narrow... Your best bet is to try as many as you can. Yamaha, Ibanez, Dean and a few others make pretty good mid-priced 6-string basses. Try 'em all! :)

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    My first bass was a nasty violin shaped hollow body deal -- I don’t remember the brand, but that’s probably a good thing! After that I got a nice little Gibson EB3 which I loved. Next I got a Univox P-bass copy which eventually became fretless, then later a Musicman Stingray fretless. I made myself a Jazz bass copy out of parts and used that for a few years until I got a beautiful PRS. After that I started working with Zon and have helped to design several basses with them. I have quite a few basses these days, including some of my old ones, but the ones I use the most are my Zon Hyperbass, Zon Sonus/Hyperbass hybrid, Zon “Vinny” prototype, Zon Legacy 10-string, Zon custom Lightwave and Larrivee acoustic 5-string fretless bass guitar.

As far as recommendations go, I agree with Steve -- you need to try out as many basses as you can and see what works for you.