Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of basses?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Hey Steve and Michael!
    Just so you know, I love both of y'alls music.
    I was just wondering, what basses you both own now, and what basses y'all owned when y'all first started learning?

Also, I've been playing a 4 string bass for 1 1/2 years now self-taught I might add. I want to upgrade to a 5 or a 6 string bass. And I wanted you recomendation on some. Thanks alot guys!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi There

I own four basses - three modulus, one Rick Turner. The moduli are two custom 6 strings, one fretted one fretless, and a fretted four. The Rick Turner is a five string fretless Renassaince (I never get the spelling on that right!).

My very first bass was a short scale SG bass copy - cost £25 (about $40), and I thought it was fantastic. Then got a Westone Spectrum DX, then a Fender Jazz, then the first of the Moduli. I also owned a Modulus VJazz Fretless for a while, which was beautiful.

As for recommending basses - it's pretty tough without knowing the size of your hands and the way you play. On a six string, the spacing and neck profile are really crucial to finding a bass that feels comfortable. Some people like wider spacing, others more narrow... Your best bet is to try as many as you can. Yamaha, Ibanez, Dean and a few others make pretty good mid-priced 6-string basses. Try 'em all! :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    My first bass was a nasty violin shaped hollow body deal -- I don’t remember the brand, but that’s probably a good thing! After that I got a nice little Gibson EB3 which I loved. Next I got a Univox P-bass copy which eventually became fretless, then later a Musicman Stingray fretless. I made myself a Jazz bass copy out of parts and used that for a few years until I got a beautiful PRS. After that I started working with Zon and have helped to design several basses with them. I have quite a few basses these days, including some of my old ones, but the ones I use the most are my Zon Hyperbass, Zon Sonus/Hyperbass hybrid, Zon “Vinny” prototype, Zon Legacy 10-string, Zon custom Lightwave and Larrivee acoustic 5-string fretless bass guitar.

As far as recommendations go, I agree with Steve -- you need to try out as many basses as you can and see what works for you.