1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Type of Bassist Are You?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Jun 19, 2018.

1. The way I see it we have the Builders the foundation of good solid advice here on TB. They have the skills to build or repair their own equipment . Although not totally incapable I can't claim to fall into this esteemed category. Then you have the gear heads. They follow the crazes buy....then usually sell whatever it is looking for the ultimate gadget to refine their tone be it a bass, amp, pedal or any other bass guitar paraphernalia for that matter. I think I am simply not hip enough to fit into this category. Then you have what I like to call the upcyclers. There just to sentimental to part with an amp that has shown good service or a reliable cab that just won't die. We give a good piece of kit a new life whether at the end of the refurbishment it's cost effective or not. Then finally you have the bassists that are simply happy noise comes out of there setup make, model, old or new is simply not important as long as it does the job. I haven't thought of a name for these more down to earth types. Suggestions welcome. What type are you? Post a response and pictures of a recent project, gadget, upcycled or nameless Frankenstein setup for us to enjoy....I am prepared for the philosophical its not the gear answers it's all part of the fun;)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    BrentSimons and bassfran like this.
  2. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    the serve the song type

3. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I see myself as a realist. Look past the glitz and glamour and finds ways to help my band sound better.

4. Think that is a good contender for the currently unnamed 4 th category;)

Frankjohnson and JeffC23 like this.
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have two interests that I actually try to keep separate. My main interest is the love of music and the bass. When I pick up my bass to play, I'm not thinking about gear at all. I'm thinking about the music, the band, the audience, etc. I'm always trying to improve myself as a musician.

My other interest is understanding how things work (bass gear and otherwise) and using my technical skills to solve interesting problems. That interest encompasses both my side business and my day job.

Of course there is some mixing of those interests. When I notice gear problems, I make a mental note of it, and sometimes think about how I might come up with a way to solve it. I also put my gear ideas through their final test on the bandstand.

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    To the OP: I'm not trying to be a dick but not sure how to answer the question.

Type of Bassist?
    I'm a pocket player.
    Not showy and interested only in holding down the groove and supporting the band.
    If anything I play slightly behind the beat for songs with more of a groove; anything else is based on the song and what I consider to be the best part.
    If it's a recording session, I follow the producer's input; if no producer I follow the bands advice or create what I think is best.

The gear means nothing; it's all about the player.
    FWIW, I like older basses and both new and old amps.

What kind of car do you drive and how would you classify it compared to all the others? :)

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think a bit of me may fall under every category you listed... one of the few times I'm glad 'carrots' wasn't listed as an option.

rufus.K, Aqualung60, Wisebass and 5 others like this.
  8. Plenty of information for answering the question in your reply . In answer to the question Volvo V70 practical, reliable, not flashy, roomy, in need of upcycling....

instrumentlevel and Jim C like this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Same here. I’m more an eclectic rather than electric bass player. I think of myself as a musical non-euclidian. ;)

equill, Wisebass, Pbassmanca and 4 others like this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

musical. i'm a musical bassist. most of the time.

Wisebass, Pbassmanca and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mediocre.

12. I have a feeling that that is not exactly the truth! :D

Wisebass, Pbassmanca and smogg like this.
  13. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I play lots of whole notes and take lots of half rests.

14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I hate when you do this to me, @40Hz... my anal retentive axioms kicked in, postulating whether you misspelled eclectic, or electric...

... of course, this is all in theory, you non-Euclidean, you... :).

Wisebass, Pbassmanca and smogg like this.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Hopefully one that keeps getting better.

Mark Andrew and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  16. Where is the 'I'm a hack' option?

17. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    god's first born

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Meh bassist, I do my best for the song - sometimes I write the song.
    Sometimes I get a sound in my head for the song.
    More often than not I struggle to reproduce that sound, but if it requires trying a bunch of pedals or borking my eq to get that sound, I will do it - and screw what the drummer thinks, he's wrong ;)

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I like to play solidly, alongside the drummer, and be the power within the groove. I also don't mind the occasional times where I'm asked to cut loose a bit.

instrumentlevel and Crash 56 like this.
  20. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    One step below Hack

BadExample likes this.