1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What type of case/bag do you ROAD players use for cables/tools/misc?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickNardone, Mar 25, 2009.

1. I'm pretty sure this is in the correct forum...

What type of road case and/or bag do you guys use who travel and are on the road a lot?

I've got like 2-3 old ragged out "gig bags" full of 1/4" cables, power extensions, power strips, tool kits, cleaning supplies, wiring, extra pedals, etc... I'd REALLY like to consolidate all of this into one (maybe two) nice road worthy cases/bags.

I was looking at this Musicians Gear bag online....

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Professional-Gear-Bag?sku=541692

It seems to have great reviews, and it's perfect for cable consolidation and tool storage, but it seems like a fabric bag would get smoked loaded in a trailer full of rack cases and cabs. It just doesn't seems very "professional" to me.

What do you guys use? Some sort of flight case? Are they any out there that are really sectioned off for small part and tool storage or anything like that?

Just drop some knowledge on me... I'm just starting up a band that will be doing some traveling, and I want to do things right.

Thanks!

2. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I picked up a 5" deep hard case at Home Depot, slapped some foam in it, and all the tools, adaptors, cords, etc... that I had left over. The basic 'every-day' stuff stays in my gig bag and amp bag... everything else is in the 'everything else' case.

3. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    I picked up a Coffin Case (Black Cross line) briefcase at the NAMM show a couple of years ago. It comes with me on the road and to all gigs. I bring all my stage gear, backup cables, duct tape, pedals, etc.. in it. It's really rugged and surprisingly spacious for it's size!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I got a Messenger Bag free with something a while back. It works well.

In it I carry:
    - mike, mic cable;
    - 10ft power strip, extra power cord, outlet tester, 3-way outlet adapter;
    - instrument cables, tuner
    - pen, biz cards;
    - 4x6 mini clip-on stand tray, clip-on full-size music stand tray
    - a couple of small rags, batteries

EDIT: I'm not a road player. Just local gigs, where I can use gig bags for my basses too...

5. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    I've got a 2 space drawer in my rack.

Do something like a 4 space rack with 2 2 space drawers? or 1 4 space?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I use a military bag, plenty-o-pockets, big double comparment for cables inside, built to withstand war. Army-Navy is your friend, you can find bags from 20 bucks to over 200, all flavors.

7. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I use a targus laptop bag. Lots of compartments and it's light but protective- holds pedals, strings, cables etc etc... Got it for $4 at a thrift store. stop by some thrift shops!

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
  9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use a heavy duty duffel-like carry-on bag for cables, guitar stand, gaff tape, mic stand clips, etc.

I also have an inexpensive aluminum briefcase with pockets in the lid and adjustable compartments where I carry various screwdrivers, outlet checker, phantom power checker, DI boxes, mic, effects box, pedal, etc.

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i used to carry everything in the big bored out spots in skb cases. now i carry a tool box.

go to sears.com and search craftsman 20" box.

fit 2-3 sets of strings, my pedal tuner, sans amp, 2 21' cables plus patch cords, all the tools i need for minor & major set ups, batteries, mic etc etc. top compartments hold all my spare parts like bridge screws, saddles, height adjustment screws, pickup screws, picks, tooth picks, lighter, velcro, and all sorts of stuff you don't think you will need until you get in a jam. best tool box i've owned.

at times i think about switching it up to my one day pack since most of the time i want to carry a hand towel, deodorant, and some extra clothes but it's less organized then my tool box.

11. mbrain

mbrain

Feb 20, 2006
    Home Depot, Lowes, etc. have a variety of textile tool bags that are durable and have lots of pockets and compartments. They are generally a better value than the specialty stuff sold for musicians. I'm extraordinarily happy with the one I bought from Home Depot a few years ago for the miscellaneous stuff I drag around--various cords, strings, batteries, misc. tools, and a drum key (hey--someone has to take care of the drummer).

12. I keep the bulk of the stuff I need in rack drawers when I am out on the road but I also have a bag exactly like the Musicians Gear bag you have here...In it I have a spare EVERYTHING...LOL.

1. I keep a Radial JDI (that I only use if I do not have my regular rig)
    2. Several sets of Sadowsky Blue Nickel Strings in both 4 and 5 string sets, 2 sets of Sadowsky Flats
    3. 2 Guitar tools
    4. 2 Microphone cables
    5. 2 Long Guitar cables, (25 foot Bayou Cables)
    6. 2 Short Guitar Cables (15 Foot Bayou cables)
    7. 2 3 foot Bayou Guitar cables
    8. 2 Spare Beltpack Cables for my X2 Wireless Belt Packs (I have a total of 5 Beltpacks and I only use the Bayou Cables that Butch makes for them)
    9. 2 3 Foot Long Bayou Speakon to Speakon speaker cables
    10. 2 10 Foot Long Bayou Speakon to Speakon Speaker Cables
    11. 2 spare power cables for my amplifier
    12. 2 18 inch double power cables that are made for rack mounting gear
    13. 1 spare Beltpack for my X2 Wireless Rig
    14. 1 BIG pack of Duracell 9 volt batteries that I give to anyone else that needs a 9 volt battery
    15. 1 Box (6 Batteries) of POWER BUG 9 Volt Batteries (I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THESE ENOUGH!!! They last 4 to 6 times longer than ANY other battery I have ever tried) These I covet for myself!!!!
    16. 1 BIG pack of Duracell AA Batteries (for my Inear rig)
    17. 2 White CLEAN Hand towels
    18. 1 SEALED guitar cleaning cloth (I only use it if I lose the one in my case)
    19. 1 EXTRA SADOWSKY MEDIUM strap with Dunlop buttons already on it. This is an EXTRA strap and I DO NOT use it unless for some reason it is the only one I have...Interestingly enough I have let someone else use it every time it has been needed! Knock on wood I have never forgotten to bring a strap tp a gig but there is always the first time!!
    20. 1 extra SET of Dunlop Strap locks
    21. 1 Audix OM7 Microphone - My backup vocal mic. It is an EXCELLENT all around vocal microphone that does NOT require Phantom power. It is MUCH better then a 58 or even a Beta 58 IMHO and is head and shoulders above what you typically get from many sound companies...I usually use a Shure Beta 87 but it is a Condenser mic and I shy away from Condensers for backup stuff
    22. 1 Audix I5 - This is an excellent general purpose mic similar to an SM57 but better for some tasks. It can be used on virtually anything with good to excellent results. I use it for Guitar cabinet, drums, horns, and even vocals if it is better than what is presented by the Sound Company...
    23. 1 Shure Beta 57 - EXCELLENT Instrument Mic and is actually good on vocals as well with some vocalists. GREAT Harp mic, Snare mic, and guitar cab mic.
    24. 1 Shure SM57 - What can I say? You can NEVER have too many of these! They work on everything!
    25. 2 sets of Drumsticks (STILL SEALED in the box the pair comes in so they don't fall out every time you open the bag!!!)
    26. 1 pair of pliers and 1 pair of wire cutters
    27. 1 set of Jewelers Screwdrivers
    28. 1 ratcheting Screwdriver set (the one with the bits in the head of the screwdriver and I keep ALL of the bits in the head of screwdriver)
    29. 1 BRAND NEW ROLL of Duct tape (I keep this in a Ziplock bag and I replace it with a new roll any time it gets used so I don't wind up with adhesive all over everything in the bag)
    30. 1 small bag of cable ties
    31. 1 small pack of Q-tips (yes to clean out my ears so I do not get wax in my inears)
    32. extra sleeves for my in ears
    33. 1 extra set of Future Sonics Atrio Ear Buds - a VERY GOOD General purpose ear bud for in ears...I have several different sets of in ears but the Atrios will work with any system out there and sound good with it.
    34. 1 Standard Drum Key
    35. 1 Drum Key Tuning Ratchet key
    36. 1 Korg Tuner

I know there are other things in there but I am doing this from memory so forgive me if I forgot something important!! I should mention that I have ALL of these things in my rack drawers in my main rig that travel with me 75% of the time. This bag is for that 25% of the time I am using someone else's backline or doing a fly date or a studio session. I also have a few of these things in my DUB Bag such as the Guitar Tool, a few cables, spare batteries (I use the batteries in my DUB Bag FIRST and NEVER TOUCH the ones in the Gig Bag Unless I run out and I replace ANYTHING I USE from the Gig Bag as soon as I get home!!!!) A spare strap, a spare cleaning cloth, extra strings, etc...I hope this helps! Good luck out there...

BE READY FOR ANYTHING....Murphy's law is in full effect out on the road bro....Don't let it get you!

Peace,

T

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't go out on the road, but I use a backpack. Lots of different compartments. And it keeps my hands free to carry, or push on the cart, something else.

That gear bag does look cool though.........

EDIT: It has backpack strap.....even better!

14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

road cases = Anvil or Peavey contour "bullet" cases..

Misc case = Anvil suitcases

I never trust gig bags.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    WalMart gym bag when driving, gig bag pocket or GigSkins small mixer bag on fly dates.

16. Dang! Did you type all that out for this thread?

Thanks so much man! That's a serious post. hehe. I'm going to save that list for my own checklist I think. Thanks again for being so detailed!

I think I'm going to hit up Army Navy, Home Depot, and Lowes and try to find a dope, heavy duty bag.

if I don't go that route, I'm really impressed with ProStageGear's Pedal Train road case, that I recently bought. I may pick up one of their universal smaller road cases for gear.

tommixx;7168362, can you post a photo of your rack setup?

If anyone else has photos of their gear organized in bags/cases, post them up. This could even become a cool 'post your organized gear bag' thread.

Thanks so much fellas!

17. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I use a herbalife promotional zipper bag I bought for 50 cents at a resale shop.

18. Of course I typed it up for you bro...Glad to help. I think it is critical to have spares of anything you might need out there. I like a bag that has different compartments like the Musician Bag so I can separate things and have them handy quickly without having to search for them/ Anything will work but if you use something without pockets try using ziplock bags to put similar things together it makes it easier to find it in a hurry. Unfortunately I do not have any picks of my rack but in it I have a Furman Power Conditioner, an X2 Wireless, a Peterson Strobo Rack Tuner, a DB750. Everything is in a 6 Space rack. I also have a Dual 12 Space rack that has nothing but Drawers in it and I have all my spares (and spares for the guitar, drum, and keyboard rigs) organized in 3 4 space drawers...I have half of the case...:D lol...

To be fair I also have stuff for the PA in there to...I believe in being very organized and very prepared! You can never be to prepared in my opinion! You may also want to check out this thread that I did a few years back that gets a little deeper into this...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173311

Good Luck and stay safe!

Peace,

T

19. Right on!

Thanks dog. Good lookin' out.

20. Wow :eek: I just learned alot. Hey Mixx, where did you get you rack drawers, I have looked but all I can find is really chincy ones, either that or the drain the wallet type. I know you get what you pay for but jeeze it' just a damn drawer!