Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of effect is this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Growler, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So i've heard this in person and on various tunes, but can't figure out what it is.

It's basically either distortion or overdrive but it only kicks in only at certain times, not like they are turning the pedal on/off but as if its only enabled for certain strings/notes or when they really dig in. Some of the riffs that E. Vanhalen plays have this effect (i'm drawing a blank at which ones tho).

Thanks
    Growler

2. Tube amps can be very sensitive to playing dynamics- in other words, w/practice one can make it sound as if there's a distortion/overdrive unit being faded in & out, or switched on. Some pedals can get somewhat close to this ability. I have a Danelectro Daddy-O that acts pretty tube-like, for my money. Of course it's difficult to say what's on a recording if you weren't there at the time. Effects can be added later, here & there, mixed, etc.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    akai shred-o-matic does something like that

its got a tube and diode and it will respond to pick dynamics, changing between the two the harder you attack. its got an expression pedal too that allows you to change the amount of drive being applied while you are playing.