1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Type of Fender is This?

Discussion in 'Ask Doug Johns' started by Smithtribe07, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Smithtribe07

Smithtribe07

Mar 8, 2013
    I am looking at this supposed "Mexican Made Fender Jazz Bass." It is a 5 string instrument. Poctures are attached. The pickups are not the same as the ones I have seen on other "Mexican Made" pickups.

The headstock says "Fender Jazz Bass: Made in Mexico" and the serial number on the is: MZ3140057. Finally, on the back of the bass where that little square silver plate is where the neck is bolted onto the body, it does NOT have the "f" symbol for Fender, so.I'm just wondering if this is a real Mexican made Fender, or perhaps some sort of counterfeit fender bass?

I appreciate your feedback. I have attached two photos of this bass...of the pickups and electronics.

Thanks,
    Martin

Attached Files:

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    It's difficult to tell from just those two pictures and Doug Johns plays a Pedulla. :confused:

3. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Depend on the year it made. Look ok to me because I owned a few of them and some without the f on the back plate. Look like the deluxe model.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Agreed...why is this here and not in the general "basses" forum?

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's a Jazz Deluxe and I 'd be surprised to see a counterfeit with plastic overlay on the control plate...

6. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    That's an older Jazz Deluxe with the Suhr electronics. Those basses sound incredible. Something about those pickups with the huge pole pieces...