1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What type of filler do I need?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fjadams, Jun 12, 2012.

  1. fjadams


    Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I am removing the poly from a Squier Jaguar SS. Heat gun and scraper, then sanding, sealing and painting. I am leaving the thick sealer that comes on it, as I've read that it is not necessary to go all the way to wood.

    The problem comes in that some of the sealer blows out with very little heat applied, leaving holes where it goes down to the wood.

    What type/kind of filler do I need to get to fill the holes so that I can get back to a smooth service for sanding and painting. I am using Gracey's Nitro for paint. Using their sealer, followed by the paint, Taos Turquiose, and clear coat. This is my first attempt at refinishing myself rather than sending it out, so it will be a learning experience.

    Here are a couple of pix of what I'm dealing with.



    Thanks to any and all who can help with this, it will be sincerely appreciated.
  2. Hopkins

    Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

    Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Keep going with the heat gun and take it to wood, In the end you will do a better job that way.
  3. Smilodon

    Smilodon Supporting Member

    Feb 18, 2012
    I agree. Take it all down to bare wood and start over. The wood doesn't need to be completely bare. Some filler residue is OK, but there shouldn't be any noticeable high-spots. After that you simply apply a new coat of sanding sealer and sand smooth.
  4. +1

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.