1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what type of flats does ben kenney use

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rycebag, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    i was just wondering because i have a joe osborn with rounds on it right now but i really like ben kenneys tone with the flats on his joe osborn.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think it was LaBellas.

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    i thought he used ghs flats.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Aqueous, you are probably right. I thought it was LaBellas in the article I read, but it's been a few months. Sorry...please ignore me, everyone...move along, nothing to see here ;)

5. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    is it the ghs precision ones?

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    In the Bass Player Mag article from around 2005 he pointedly did NOT say what he used. He did say he was still sorting out what he was going to use on his Lakland Joe Osborne. But a few months ago there was a short one-page article where he specifically listed the GHS flats. Probably the GHS Precision Flats as that is the only real flat-wound string GHS makes (Brite-Flats are a moddified roundwound, like D'Addario's Half-Rounds and Dean Markley's Ground Round Wound. All of them are a round wire wrapped on the cores, and then ground off to have a flat outter surface, and quite different in sound and feel from a string made with a true flat ribbon as the final wrap). Also, the Lakland Joe Osborne flats are very similar to GHS Precision Flats, and are made by GHS.

jte