Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of foam is best under pickups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wolak, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Where do you buy it?

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I just use white double-stick tape. You can get it at home depot or sears.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    What are you working on now? :hyper:

There is a foam shop on Ridgewood 1/2 block north of LPGA check them out. I like the surgical tubing stuff from stewmac. Good luck .....tom

4. I'm still working on the same bass. There has just been too much going on for me to finish it. . .new baby. . .new house. . .doesn't leave much free time, but it's all good. As soon as I finish it, I would like for you to check it out and tell me what you think. I really just need to have the electronics installed. I'm going to have them installed by someone who knows what they're doing. I have a Bartolini prewired harness with Bart MM and jazz pickups. I would hate to mess it up. Do you know of any music stores/repair shops that do it around here?

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    You have a pm :D

6. You also have a PM.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    back at ya...t

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I don't know what the chemical name for it is, but the stuff they use for car seats is pretty good. It doesn't stay compressed after long periods of time. I've found that the world is full of free foam. No need to buy it.

9. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How weird to read local directions online and understand them (Daytona Beach = hometown). I use heavy duty weatherstripping. Beware surgical tubing if you have any solvent based finishes (laquer, water based lacquer) lying around. It will eat them!

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yup Greg just saw your dad yesterday...t