Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what type of maple?!?!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Okay, for a warmoth standard replacement neck for a fender styled precision bass, Im looking for a maple on maple neck. the dilemma i ran into, is that there are four different types of maple available. maple, birdseye maple, flamed maple, and AAA birdseye maple. Im looking for a really aggressive modern rock tone (using SDD Quarter Pounder P) and have no clue if one of these different maples will alter the tone at all!!! Im thinking that the main difference is aesthetics, am i correct in thinking so???

:help: !!!
    ~Ryan

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'd go out on a limb and say yes, it's purely aesthetics. I'm sure there are some minor tonal differences inherent to the different figurings on a generic level (the figures are structural growth irregularities), but I wouldn't expect them to be any more major than the variances between different pieces to me. There are others who claim much more noticable wood/tone differences.

3. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Yeah your paying extra for looks. Maple pretty much sounds like maple, however birseye is beautifull.

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    There is such a thing as hard maple and soft maple, and the differences are implied by the names. Hard maple is most commonly used for necks since it doesn't ding much and is plenty stiff. That being said, I'm sure Warmoth makes all of their necks out of stuff with similar physical characteristics, so make your choice based on aesthetics. Personally I'd go for a flamed neck with a birdseye fingerboard, but that's just me.

-Nate

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    figure is usually considered a "weaker grain", just an FYI.

i only do laminate necks, and only play basses with reinforced...im just picky though : P