1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type of MM was I playing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, May 6, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I was at a local guitar shop today and they had this Music Man fretless on the wall. It had an ebony fretboard, extremely skinny neck all they way from nut to end, a type of jazz body with a quilted flame maple top, very light, and 2 jazz bart pups in it. It played so well, very fast neck. Anyway, the head stock said MM in some old type logo design and they were selling it for $1000, whats this bass all about?

2. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    To the best of my knowledge (which is limited) Musicman never made anything using the ebony material, nor did they make Jazz basses in general. AFAIK, Musicman has used the single Humbucking pickup since the start of their construction, and favored pau ferro on the fretless. and the necks are not especially thin

3. yea what fong said.. everything you mentioned (fretless, 2 jazzs, ebony FB, and skinny neck) are the exact opposite of all the musicmans ive ever played

4. "Slim" is a realitive term. IMO, the only "slim" necked bass that MM has ever made would be the sterling. Ernie Ball took over Music Man at one point, and the start of the sterling basses didn't happen until after that. Do you remember if it said "Ernie Ball" on the head? If you can go back and get a pic, that would help out a LOT. To the best of my knowledge, Music Man has never made a bass with a Jazz pup configuration.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You could been playing a Frankenstein with a MusicMan neck although I can't imagine asking $1,000 for one.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sterling neck on a frankenfender body?

7. sounds more like a G&L than a MM, IMHO that G&L has more weird pickup configs than MM. And more models.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    There were some ebony fretboards on MM basses back when pterodactyls darkened the skies....Sterlings have slim necks...but a Jazz body?

Nope. Nor have they ever used anything but MM pickups.

Why would they?

9. You MUST get pics, I'm intrigued now.

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    if it is very light it cant be a G&L

11. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    No its not a G&L (Ive got my asat) and have seen plenty of other odd ball basses in my day. It was totally crazy playing this bass it had standard MM headstock with an old MUSIC MAN logo with what looks like the 2 people playing bass on it, but I dont think it said ernie ball on it anywhere. The tuning keys seemed older but original (had an old hipshot on it). The neck was skinnier at the 12th fret then even my asat, seemed almost banjo like when compared to any other bass neck taper and had a nice finish front and back. The bass was in mint condition but seemed like maybe made in the 80"s? I need to go back tomorrow and check it out again, now Ive got myself really interested! Ill be back with an update.

12. Was this the bass???
    th_P7180086.
    th_P7180083.
    th_P7180082.
    It's my bass and it's in the music store on consignment. I'm the bass teacher at the music store you were at, Jims Music Center in Irvine CA. The neck is a Music Man Sabre neck that has been epoxy finished by Norik Renson, ala Pedulla buzz basses. The body was made by Bill Antell, it's chambered and it's ash with a flame maple top. The bass is KILLER, I'm selling it because I have a great playing/sounding Elrick f-less, and I don't really need two f-lesses. Hit me up via e-mail if you have any questions. the price is very negotiable, they "have to" mark it up to that price, but I would sell it for considerably LESS. The f-board is indeed ebony. It has Bartolinis, with just volume/volume/dummy knob that isn't even hooked up.
    caesarbass@cox.net

13. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    small world...

14. You ain't kiddin, i was just thinking the same thing.:)

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

That's relatively intense/amazing.

Very cool bass duder!

16. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thats it! Very cool bass indeed, I was telling my girlfreind who was with me at the time that this bass is sick, the only one on the wall I had to check out. The bass would make for a great back up for my Azola minibass or if I didnt have the room to bring my azola to a gig? I thought it might have a semi hollow body b/c of its acoustic vibe. How did they make the neck so slim on your bass? I dont remember seeing the Saber on the logo but I was kind of in and out of there. Thats the bass though, I thought I might have found some kind of Leo prototype :( but the bass is very cool regardless, there's very few basses anymore that grab my attention especially when I play them and this one is worth checking out. thanks!

17. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Wow! It's crazy what happens sometimes. If that guy didn;t belong here you'd probably never know what kind of bass it was.

Killer looking bass man!

18. I'm really trippin' out about how I stumbled on this thread...it was late, I had just gotten home from a gig, and all of a sudden I'm reading a description of my bass...:D SMALL WORLD!!!!
    wyleeboxer-thanks for the compliments on it. As far as I know the neck is stock, it really is a super fast/slim feeling neck. If you have anymore questions on it feel free to ask.
    :bassist:

19. This is why I LOVE this website! :D

20. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Sure Caesarbass, no problem. I wouldnt mind coming by Jims when your there to talk about maybe taking a few lessons? I havent had a lesson in years and I not sure if I need one or not but I dont think it would hurt. Im in a new R&B band and my sight reading has never been to good, so will see. PM me if you like.