1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type of MTD is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by perfdavid, Apr 29, 2006.

1. I think this is a saratoga but not sure, anyone know for sure?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think it is a Grendel or Saratoga.

3. Do you know what these sell for. I believe it is a c. republic model.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    new or used?

5. used.......I am curious cuz I just bought it for 600. It is in excellent condition, few minor belt buckle scratches. I think I got a fair deal and like the bass. I thought the Grendel's had the name on the stock?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought they did too. It may be a Saratoga, then. Is the fingerboard wenge or rosewood?

7. I think you were originally correct. I may be wrong but do they make saratoga in the c. republic or are they made here. I think it is a grendel b/c of the switch by the tone knobs.

8. here are some more pics to help with this problem

9. sorry, one was an original pic

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its hard to tell, they are very similiar, but I believe Saratogas have switches as well.

Can you tell what the fingerboard wood is?

I still think its a Saratoga, because it looks very similair to the Saratoga on the MTD site.

http://www.mtdbass.com/pages/saratoga.html

11. try again

12. it did not say on the description. so regardless if it is a grendel or saratoga, 600 seems like a fair deal. I love the sound and feel of mtd basses.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The fact that it does not display the name Grendel on the headstock makes me 95% sure it is a Saratoga.

Good deal :)

14. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    It's a Grendel. The knob and 1/4 connection seem to be in slightly different places, but the rear strap button is definitely in that spot on a Grendel, whereas the Saratoga has it placed more symmetrically behind the bridge.

Is your bass active or passive?

15. Now time to throw you for a loop. I just did a search and found a grendel for sale. Now what do you think? lol I do know the serial number ended in the letter A if that means anything.????????????

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Crap, so the grendels did have that headstock at some point?

I did notice the switch is in a different place than teh Saratogas.

Roar.

Ill ask again! What is the fingerboard made out of?

Ill say its wenge, and its a Grendel. The strap pin observation is a good one.

17. Man, you are so right. Jeez, how stupid on my part not to see the obvious. Well, anyway, I am still happy with the purchase.

18. I don't know. It was not listed in the description.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  20. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    We all make mistakes. :p Nice bass.