What type of music do you play and how you play it on stage?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eye_play_bass, Mar 10, 2002.

1. I just wanted to know, cuz many of my friends act really different on the way the play depending on the song, I first criticized them and made fun of them for doing that.........but it turns out i do juust the same darn thing!! Our first guitar always keeps his head down with his eyes closed, but when we play a metal song the guy goes crazy like he's having a seijure! same with our 2nd guitarist. does it all depend on the music being played?

I always lean my body slanted back but when we play a metal song i put the bass on top of my knee and start heading banging and don't even notice i'm doing it!!:eek:

what about all of you? you guys do something you don't notice until now?:confused:

- organized people are just to lazy to find stuff - me

- no ones a virgin on earth, life screws us all - me
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jumping and dancin' like a fool, IN the crowd, moshing, screaming and causing a ruckus. I've yanked chairs out from under people who won't get up, screamed litterally inches away (or less) in people's faces, berated the crowd, and generally been a nut. It'll only get worse when I get a wireless unit. :D It's a long, bloody trip before I get done with a show. Just the way
  3. metalcore.

4 options :

1) Left foot in front, right foot in back, slight bend in the knees, and slightly forward bend in my back.

2) Left foot on top of a monitor.

3) Right leg stretched out in front, near pedals ( some of our songs require quite some tapdancing on the pedals )

4) walking across the stage a bit.

i don't do headbanging.. i like to have 100 % focus on the music.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well i don't play metal.. but I do play jazz, funk, and rock. When I play Jazz, i just kinda bob up and down a little bit to go along with what i'm playing. When i'm playing funk... depending on if its like good ol' 70s funk or modern.. I usually move around a good bit.. if its really funky and requires some slap... i'll get a good food hold in the ground and rock my upper body... When i play rock. i usually dance around.. :)
  5. I play pretty much standing still, but I do happen to randomly pace alot. I will walk backwards, forwards, turn and walk to the left and right, but I also keep my eyes on the keyboardist alot for changes. We play alot of Jams, and that requires me to know where they are, and look for a signal to kill the song, or jump into a new part. I am getting to the point where I dont even need their signals. We got to the point, where we can hear what each other is playing, and actually do the changes on my own. I dont really do anything crazy though. Sometimes I will walk around and talk to the crowd while I am playing, because I have the wireless. That gets interesting during long covers, such as Free Bird:D
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I usually do a sort of deep knee bend combo Rockettes kind of thing. It's really embarrassing and the band has asked me to stop.

j/k :D:D
  7. Not matter what style im playing, the pinky finger of my right hand always raises itsself, as though i was having afternoon tea with royalty. Really embaressing. Otherwise, i sort of stand still for normal songs, legs apart rock, legs together funk soul and hip-hop, but in heavier ones i start spinning round and going ape sh*t. so there.

8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    with the boys from Naysayer, the music is just flat-out hardcore/death - i seemed to have developed this strange signature pose of standing fully upright with my legs together and my back straight, whilst holding my Spector almost completely vertical, like i'm playing an upright or something. the head-banging soon follows, and i'll be damned if i have to listen to one more FiELdY reference :mad: :D
  9. Well we play heavy rock. Tend not to move around lots - small stages and no wireless yet. I'm not competent enough to do lots of running/jumping/headbanging and play bass properly at the same time yet!!!!