Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of music do you play/listen to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Rock

19 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Blues

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Jazz

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Metal

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. Ska

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. Funk

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Fusion

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Christian Rock

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Classical

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Hip-Hop

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. All of the above, and more!

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. I was wondering what types of music the bassists here on the archive like to play or listen to. I know that not all styles of music are listed on the poll, but please pick the one that suits you best. Please vote! Thanks.

Andy

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Good question.

I play in a prog/math/metal band. labels suck, so i'll just say i play in a band.

i LISTEN to everything under god's green earth. Except Pop, country(Songs that could be good if they didn't lay on thick, horrible, southern draws, even the guitars have this, SLIDES.) And some rap.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    labels are funny :p

Ummm I'll just answer YES and if you question me on it I might back down to a MAYBE... but YES! I listen to them and play most... including a few you missed

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know it's hard to capture them all, Andy.

I went for "Rock" only because such an AOR genre today, ("All Over the Road").

A couple months ago I drove through 8 different states within 2 weeks. In practically each state, the car radio got "rock" stations that were playing, (all within a single DJ's show) - Creed/Foo Fighters, the Carlos Santana/Michelle Branch thing, and Shania Twain.

Fortunately, I brought a load of CD's.

5. I voted Jazz because that's mainly what I listen to, but, blues, Motown and 60s & 70s rock too. I just bought Alan Parson's CD, "Eye in the Sky," what a blast from the past! I also listen to a fair amount of classical.

Mike

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A multiple choice poll would have been nice here. It's kinda difficult to choose just one.

I went for Jazz, as that covers a broad range, and a very big part of what I play and listen to, particularly at the moment.

In truth, I play and listen to many of those categories - Rock, Jazz, Funk, Fusion, Classical. And you seem to have missed 'Pop' - what's that about?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like a little bit from about every label you can think up. To qualify, I will say that I can never find anything on the radio unless it's a college station or public. I play in a rock band, and I (play jazz/get taught how to play jazz) with a couple of locals.

8. Was i listen to is very different to what i play. I listen to a lot of metal, but when i play bass i like to play softer stuff.

BF

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I listen to jsut about everything from metal (which is my forte) to funk to pop to hip hop.

I play thrash/grindcore/death metal. Last band I was in was favorably compared to Six Feet Under meets Pantera.

10. i like everything but rap and country.
    and dumb whiny pop-punk.
    i play straight-forward rock. no special sub-divisions; if we fit any category, maybe "alternative"...?

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I listen to everything listed, and a lot of stuff not listed.

I play in an oldies band. We play 50's, 60's and 70's rock and pop, a few country songs, and a few metal songs.

I also play in an originals band. We have three country songs, several funk influenced heavy rock songs, a couple of metal songs, and two or three prog rock songs. All with Christian lyrics.

And, I play at church. We do contemporary praise and worship, traditional hymns, instrumental jazz arrangements of traditional hymns, and a few southern gospel numbers.

12. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I listen to anything and everything from classical to metal. Years ago I probably would have said my main choise of music to listen to would be modern rock (college radio type stuff) but I just can't seem to get into what's being put out nowadays. Lately I've been listening to a lot of New Age/Ambient and Gothic music (I love 80s Goth).

On bass, I play a lot of Jazz. I also like to play songs I teach myself off CDs I have, so that's a little bit of everything. The music I like to write on bass leans a lot towards Ambient/Classical.

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Playing

My church music group has a Gospel/funk/soul/R&B vibe to it (with some Latin thrown in). We do a lot of Hillsongs stuff but one of the singers throws in a lot of Winans Kirk Franklin stuff (sp I'm not a big CCM fan).

My solo/band project Slacker is an Indie/noise/blues hybrid.

Listening

long time fave bands are U2 and INXS

currently listening to Queens of the Stoneage, Ian Dury, and various old dance tracks (the Key Adagio for strings, pigbag)

'Educational' listening

Parliament (bow wow wow yippy yie yippy yay) King Prawn, Reel Big Fish, Skindred, Stoopie.

IMHO you have to listen to it all

14. I did'nt vote because no categories apply to me. I currently play in four bands, one latin, one country/honkytonk/rockabilly, two jazz. OK, the jazz came close. I mainly listen to country, jazz and a bit of latin.

15. I listen to a lot of 60s and 70s rock music, Hendrix Led Zep et al. Im starting to get into a lot of psychadelic (sp?) type stuff, like Quicksilvler Messenger Service, Love, Country Joe and the Fish. Ive also started getting interested in jazz, listening to Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and some John Coltrane solo stuff. So its pretty much everything.

As for playing, I love playing jazz, but rock and funk comes a close second.

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    UPDATE-I've just got into John Scofield-Uberjam

17. I listen to: classic rock, prog, soft rock, metal, punk, alternative, emo, acid jazz, smooth jazz, funk, bluegrass, classical, dub, reggae, hip hop, motown, ska, grunge, electronic music, and other stuff i couldnt even try to classify.

I play: Lots of stuff that all falls under rock, but we (band) want to try new stuff like dub and funk.

variety is always excellent

18. BTW - Before i started playing music 2 years ago, all i listened to was mainstream hardrock.

19. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I play indie rock. I'd describe my band's sound as a mix of Fugazi/Trail of Dead/Murder City Devils/Shellac/At The Drive-In/early Nirvana. Basically all of my favorite bands rolled into one.

I don't listen to anything on the radio unless it's from the college station I'm involved with (WMTU). I also listen to a lot of underground Hip-Hop, such as Talib Kwali, Cannibal-Ox, El-P, Kool Keith, and Aesop Rock.

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I listen to everything from Bluegrass to Death Metal. I'm just a huge fan of music in general. Though like a lot of people here, I don't listen to the radio.

My current band plays Blues/Classic Rock, but in one point of my life or another I've played: Rock, Blues, Country, Rockabilly, Do-Wop, British Invasion, Thrash Metal, Nu-Metal, Jump Swing, Jazz, Funk, Polka, Punk, Grunge, Singer/Songwriter, Ska, Dixieland, Latin, Pop, Progressive Rock, Classical and probaly some other stuff that I can't remember.