Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of music do YOU write?, or *would* you write?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jul 28, 2005.

1. left to your own devices, taking a step away from your band, does the music you create on your own terms resemble the band efforts at all? What I mean is, if a bandmate heard your solo efforts, would they be amazed at how polar opposite it is?

Do you have guilty pleasures that the band doesn't know about musically, that drive your creative output? Would you be nervous / afraid to let them hear it?

I know I do. I'm building my home studio to satisfy my personal output. Don't know if it would ever even see the light of day, but I imagine on the whole it will be tremendously satisfying. I guess that's the point of solo efforts. :D

Just curious as to what your take is.

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    The tunes I write for the band are all these free-wheeling improvisational frameworks. At home I write through-composed guitar pieces. If they found out, I'd probably get fired for sheer squareness.

3. See that's the thing. It's the amalgamation of influences betwen band members that help to make the thruput more interesting...

But what I wonder is if they fully realised my set of influences, if it would be a source of future jibes, or if they'd be cool with it. It's just some people can or only want to write in one style, and others write in many genres, and I fall in the latter. I'd hate to let a bandmate have a listen and get ragged on.

That's not an insecurity thing, because I'd feel no less proud of the work, it's just some people are small minded and resort to that type of thing (no, I'm not saying my bandmates possess this, but alot of people do)

4. Interesting question. First, yes, I have another musical direction I swing to. Second, a friend of mine had the same problem a few years a go and called me (he lives out of state). Musically, we've always been on the same page. We formed a "band" that both of us consider our solo project. Once a year (give or take), we get together with songs or ideas that we've had and throw it together in crappy, but very satisfying, recording session. The drummer is whoever is available and personable. No structure, no pressure, no stress.

Mike

5. See, now that's a beautiful thing. And that's what I aspire to moving forward with my work, and dealings with people...that kind of thing would leave me wanting to rush thru my year...

(tho I don't find my band dealings any less satisfying mind you)

Anyone know any hot breathy-bedroom-voiced lady singers out there in my area? If so, I'll have some tracks for you soon. WHY doesn't Frou Frou return my calls? v:O)~

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, I swing much differently in my own stuff. My current primary band had seen me doing my own material a bunch of times, and were shocked that I could play straight ahead jazz and fit in happily with them. At parties I usually whip out one or two of my tunes, and get a great response.

I just gave my bandmates in my secondary band a CD of my original stuff. The drummer just said: "You're insane, but I dug it. Why aren't you just fronting your own band though?" Been there, done that, got the home recording setup. :cool:

All kinds of people have ragged on me over the years. If they don't keep doing that, I'll feel like I'm losing my touch. :bassist:

7. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I'm not in a band right now; just get together with a drummer friend of mine and we do improv jams. Range from rock to jazz, fast stuff to ballads.

Really the only stuff I've written (or come up with and remember) have been ballads. I don't really know why, but that's about it.

It's been mostly solo bass stuff. Nothing spectacular like many folks here at talkbass.com, just simple chordal things with basic forms and shapes.

I'm looking to get more at home with groovy, foot stomping, head boping type stuff, if I can just sit down long enough to figure some other stuff out.

(part of the problem is that I can't remember what my friend and I come up with half the time. I forget to write stuff down or just have a recorder with me)

That ballad stuff is what makes me happy, however. I just feel awesome when I hit a nice chord (like a High B-E- open A; I think that's it) and play the appeggio in different combos/rhythm. It just sounds nice to me.

JB

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I write basically in five or six styles. On acoustic guitar I write mainly simple melodic chord progressions/solos ala Iron and Wine or Neil Young. I occasionally get a wild hair and fool myself into thinking I can use a slide and the result is rarely pretty. On electric guitar all I really write is stoner rock riffs and horrible shred solos. On bass I write long, oddtime metal riffs, funk/jazz grooves similar to MMW, and simple Big Business style fuzz riffs. Every blue moon I'll write a slap riff, even that technique doesn't really appeal to me.

Though I have recently into creating slow ambient songs through the use of a extremely effected signal. Once I get my Boss Loop pedal I can see this side of my playing taking off fully.

I enjoy the stuff I create, but I the music I create is more for my listening pleasure than to try and appeal to a crowd or market.

9. A true musical self-representation. The rest is just gravy. That's the best reason to create.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The music in my head is never ever what I can get out... I made a thread about the music in my head a while back. hmm let me try to explain by instrument:

Drums: Flashy. All over the place, but with a spacious feel. Most of the business would be cymbal work.

Bass: Totally awesome :D Rhythmically complex, somewhat repetitive to maintain sanity.

Guitar: Mostly short melodic fragments as opposed to riffs, but would occasionally lock in with the bass at times to do something low n' heavy.

Keyboard/Programming: Something to keep a nice warm ambience while heavy weirdness is going on. Occasionally taking a lead roll, but mostly doing Steve Wilson type stuff.

Vocals: Switch between clean and gravely and some occasional screaming. I'd want it to dodge in and out of the rhymic "holes" ala Meshuggah, but not so abrasive.

The music would be somewhat heavy, but it would rarely be overpowering, but often head to the other side and play really pretty stuff.

11. If left to my own devices I would effectively mix Zeppelin with Fugazi with the Beatles.

The Foo Fighters did a nice job of that with "One By One."

*sigh*

12. Mainly crap! :D

I can come up with riffs or melodies but im never able to actually put them into "song structure " I guess you could say.

I mainly come up with stuff on bass, but after reading a Derek Trucks lesson, ive been going for the slide guitar more and more.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  14. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    The stuff I write now isn't too far from what my band plays now. Of course now that I think of it I'm writing material for that band so I guess subconciously I keep it close.

When I write stuff for myself it's more avante guard type of music. I find have to be in a certain mood to sit down and write that music so it's a rare occasion.

What I'd like to do the most at this time is find some people, that are around my skill level, to start a small jazz combo with. I'd like to compose and arrange some pieces. Not necessarily to play out, just for a fun evening once every week or two.

15. Strangely, my own stuff is completely different to what my band writes/plays.

I like my music a lot harder than the other guys, so I write quite full on stuff. Also, I often mess around with Cubase and Acid! and make doof-doof music too :D

I think if I were to make a solo album, it would be a little bit schizophrenic! :help:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I would write the best songs you ever heard.

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The SECOND best songs you ever heard. ;)

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    my stuff usually ends up kinda like...

Metallica meets pearl jam? Melodic riffage of sorts...

19. ...sort of pile-drivingly heavy? ;)

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Instrumental ballads, I guess. Playing uptempo, swingin', etc. is fun, but with a ballad, you just have so much room to streeeeeeeeetch...want to hold that note? No problem, the chord's not gonna change for 4 bars anyway. Especially in relation to fretless -- Jaco-funk has its place, but when I'm playing my fretless or DB, there's one thing I want to hear -- I want to hear it sing. Tell a story. As much as I love Ray Brown, I'll take Charlie Haden any day of the week.

For me, playing fretted is often for playing with reckless abandon -- eg, intonation? Nuts to that. It's nice to cut loose and tear it up, but the stuff I "write" on it follows in the same vein as what I'd do on fretless, only more two handed tapping stuff so I often get a "fuller" sounding song at the expense of the singing tone.

That said, I once had my solo playing (first song I ever wrote, actually -- about a year ago, I've [hopefully] evolved since then) described as "Church music" by a guy in the room. The other person present, a girl with whom at the time I was rather enamoured, gave him a reproachful look and said "It's beautiful." :D